Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Easton 2117 bolts. I was told their the best for cross bows >

Easton 2117 bolts. I was told their the best for cross bows

Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Easton 2117 bolts. I was told their the best for cross bows

Old 02-25-2006, 06:26 AM
Fork Horn

Default Easton 2117 bolts. I was told their the best for cross bows

My replacement Horton Cross bow is in and I just sighted it in. If I used the same arrow I can put it in the same hole every time. If I use another arrow, it’s off by a few inches. Seems like not one of the four that came with the bow fly the same.

The Pro at my local Pro Shop said the Easton 2117 are the best cross bow bolt on the market. He said the weights are accurate from bolt to bolt and their straighter.

Does anyone use them and if so, how well do they fly. Are they consistent from bolt to bolt.

Old 02-25-2006, 08:41 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Easton 2117 bolts. I was told their the best for cross bows

HI Green Pea. I am happy to see that you are back in buisness!
The 2117 is the shaft size. I use the same size shaft on my Exocet. The model I use is the XX75 easton. Go to http://www.eastonarchery.com/product...show=crossbows
I would not say that they are the best bolt on the market. At 20 yards my XX75 bolts cannot be used on the same dot, otherwise I will be denting the sides and ends of most bolts.I am truly afraid to shoot at the same point with multiple bolts.
They normally are accurate and consistant. You might want to check for straightness of the shaft. I have never checked for straightness or weight consistancy because all bolts have been super accurate. I think I have bought atleast 48 bolts and between targets and deer killed more than half of that before the light switched on.
Are they made by the Pro Shop or a factory? What fletchings do you have on them? What tip is on them?
There are a lot of xbow shooters on the excalibur forum. I think you should ask them. They are Excalibur owners as well as Horton etc owners.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:49 AM

With my old horton I never had this problem. But with my new one I did. It came with three carbons and when I ruined them I just went and bought a six pack of aluminum. After shooting them a few times I noticed the same thing. I realized that my aluminum arrows were slightly bent. Could have been from the way I was pulling them out of the target since the block target I have is really hard to pull out of. I swithched back to carbons and have had no problem since, carbons wont bend like aluminnum's do. I also only shot horton brand arrows too, never bought an off brand.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:59 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Hotburn76

With my old horton I never had this problem. But with my new one I did. It came with three carbons and when I ruined them I just went and bought a six pack of aluminum. After shooting them a few times I noticed the same thing. I realized that my aluminum arrows were slightly bent. Could have been from the way I was pulling them out of the target since the block target I have is really hard to pull out of. I swithched back to carbons and have had no problem since, carbons wont bend like aluminnum's do. I also only shot horton brand arrows too, never bought an off brand.
Hey Hotburn76, didn't it seem like a good idea at the time to shoot at the same spot? LOL I thought it was cool at first tho.[:'(]
I would bang up a few bolts then move further away and still do the same thing only less often. Slow learner I guess.
I have never had a bolt that came bent or bent on removal of a target (I do have a goldtip for my comound that has a mind of its own). I have bent them by pulling them out of the wall studs as well as from collisions. Pull them slowly through your finger tips to feel for dents and roll them on edge of a table top to check for straightness (unless you have access to a tool/jig to check them for straightness).
Old 02-25-2006, 09:29 AM

What the heck! I never made fun of the two turkeys in your photo!LOL just kidding. Ya it was kinda rewarding to hear that smack sound at first, Its rewarding and builds up self confidence for your shot placement in the feild. My first ones are ok, my local bow shop said he can put new nocks in and vains for 4 bucks but at that price might as well go to wally world and get new ones. But like you said you learn to use all five dots on the target after a while. But with my aluminum ones I was shooting diff dots But I think it was the way I was pulling them out. Thats why I like the carbons, alot more forgiving.
Old 02-25-2006, 11:57 AM
Fork Horn

It’s good to be back in business.

I’m planning on buying 12 bolts. 6 of them will have field tips for practice throughout the year. The other 6 will have Slick Tricks. A few weeks before the season starts I’ll use two of the Slick Tricks to practice with and the other four will go in the quiver for deer.

This is going to be a long year waiting to get out and hunt. I’m already to the obsessed point and it’s not getting any better. I’m planning a couple of road trips to do some scouting. I want to get an idea now of a spot to hunt in the Fall. I’ve read about everything I can get my hands on about two prime areas here in Ohio.
Old 02-25-2006, 12:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well to each his own,I decieded I liked 2219 XX75's back 20 years ago when I had a 1/2 share in an archery shop and I still like them best they are tough and hard enough to stay stright heavy enough for any game and I get 300+ FPS with a slight helical fletch they shoot real accurate. I have one I retired and put up on the wall took a bear ,5 deer and a coyote. Lee
Old 02-25-2006, 12:52 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

Well to each his own,I decieded I liked 2219 XX75's back 20 years ago when I had a 1/2 share in an archery shop and I still like them best they are tough and hard enough to stay stright heavy enough for any game and I get 300+ FPS with a slight helical fletch they shoot real accurate. I have one I retired and put up on the wall took a bear ,5 deer and a coyote. Lee
Cool Idea,

If I get a nice deer or one thats worth mounting, I like the idea of putting the arrow somewhere on the mount. Perhaps on the plac or something.
Old 02-25-2006, 09:49 PM

I have NEVER seen the reason for going back too aluminum once shooting carbons. Maybe 2117s are the best ALUMINUM shaft? I would hardly call them the best compared too a tough old carbon/graphite shaft!!!

I don't even know where the alloys are that came with my TL4 pkg I bought lastyear! I bought 4 Horton graphites at the same time,
RA
Old 02-26-2006, 07:00 AM
Fork Horn

I went fro Aluminum to Carbon bolt by accident but quickly found out the fly far better. The picture below is a measured 10 yard shot done from a bench. The aluminum are cameo and the carbons are black. The picture is a little big.
http://users.rcn.com/moxie1884/PA010015.JPG

Quick Reply: Easton 2117 bolts. I was told their the best for cross bows

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.