HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Crossbows (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows-76/)
-   -   Question about Crossbows (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows/133152-question-about-crossbows.html)

BenfromVa 02-15-2006 05:47 PM

Question about Crossbows

I am a compound shooter, always have been. I remember reading about cross bows years ago when I had a shoulder injury that I thought may leave me unable to draw a compound. The injury healed up and still hunt with a compound, but was wondering.....
What crossbow made today has the longest draw or powerstroke?
I would think, but maybe I am wrong, the crossbow with the longest powerstroke would be fast and maintain accuracy at greater distances with KE also.

Any input would be helpful.

Arthur P 02-16-2006 10:33 AM

RE: Question about Crossbows

I'm not nearly asknowledgeable as some of these guys. Where some of them are rabid crossbow shooters, I just play around with them when the fit takes me.;)But I'll tell you what I do know...

Your thinking is pretty much correct. As a general rule, the crossbows with longer power strokes will have slightly better performance. They will take a longer bolt and the longer, the more stable in flight. So they should be more accurate at longer distances.

But you have to keep in mind that crossbows are prettyinefficient, due to their short, heavy limbs and short power strokes. Where a modern, high performance30" draw compound at 70 pounds will deliver around 70 ft lbs of KE, a crossbow will only deliver KE equal to roughly 1/3rd of the prod's draw weight. So, if you need somewhere close to 70 ft lbs of energy, you have to go to a 200 lb draw.

That's as much as I can help you. Don't have the slightest clue which crossbow has the longest power stroke these days.

Hotburn76 02-16-2006 11:31 AM

Not sure why a CB would be considered inefficient but my horton supermax has good stats. They are; draw weight-175, power stroke is 14", arrow length is 20", arrow speed is 320 fps and KE is 95. Horton Has six CB's thathave KE above70 and the slowest one being 270 fps. I think the only one that is slower is their steel force modle and its just a entry level CB. I took mine to the local bow shop and with carbon arrows it shoots at 327 fps. I just went to mathews web site and it looked like they average around 230 fps to 320 fps and thats AMO to IBO. Not sure but I think IBO is like the perfect world conditions for that speed, not sure but could be wrong.Also they did not list KE, not sure why but maybe as Arthur said its directly related to draw weight. Thats why I like my horton, Take it out of the box and it shots what it said it does with out alot of money in extras.

Arthur P 02-16-2006 12:06 PM

Thats why I like my horton, Take it out of the box and it shots what it said it does with out alot of money in extras.
That's one thing crossbows have going for them. When you use the ammo that the company recommends, they either deliver what the specs say or you KNOW somebody lied. Bow companies are mostly shameless about fudging the "IBO"numbers, because they know most guys will never shoot that exact setup in the real world.

I would like to know why the crossbow outfits don't list the weight for the bolts they sell. Back-figuring, using theabove listed 320 fps and 95 ft lbs (and I assume that is with a carbon shaft?)the weight comes to418 grains. That sounds awfully heavy, considering the 20" length.

edit: I just weighed the bolts I use with my Wildcat. 16" 2219's with 125 gn tips, graphite inserts,and 5" vanes. Weight was 350 grains.

Hotburn76 02-16-2006 10:07 PM

If you go to hortons web site they list the weight for their arrows. You can void your warrenty (not sure how they would know?) if you use an arrow less than 426. The carbons I shoot are 442 with the 100 gr tip. They list the info just look and you will find.

Dnk 02-17-2006 06:21 PM

This is not to tell you what to buy. Go to excalibur.com and check out the arrow performance page. I think you will find that there is not a whole heck of a difference in trajectory with in most xbow speeds. You are right the longer stroke the faster the bolt. But power is one of the lesser of the things to consider. I think that all serious hunting xbows will zip through any white tail with in sensible distances and sensible set up of bolts. Accuracy is much more important to me. Second is the amount of fussing or the amount of trouble to expect. There is big difference in weight as well (I don't care much about weight myself). Some people care how narrow the limbs are (I don't). Not going to tell you what I shoot. Check out the thread "what xbow do you shoot" to see how happy everyone is with their stuff. The only important thing is that you are happy. After all isn't it all about you? LOL