Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Future of the Crossbow >

Future of the Crossbow

Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Future of the Crossbow

Old 02-09-2006, 08:28 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Future of the Crossbow

Michigan now allows CB's to be used during the gun deer season, but under a gun license. During the archery season, CB's are only legal for hunters with disabilities.

IM jaybe

Old 02-09-2006, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Now that sounds reasonable, at least it is a start. Maybe if it catchs on it will have its own season......[8D]
Old 02-09-2006, 08:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Xbows have been legal as far back as I know here in Arkansas,we can use them during any deer season but have to follow the rules for that season.I would estimate 20 to 25 percent of the bow hunters use them. What most people don't realize is that there are times when draging that big heave awarked Xbow through the woods is not an advantage since modern compounds average higher speed than the average cross bow. Personally I like crossbows and I have use every kind of bow I know of. I just happened to like long bows and cross bow.Lee
Old 02-09-2006, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

well i bought a crossbow in Ohio, well traded for one over 20 years ago, it was a Horton with the clamp down screw, i was dissappointed but i see they have come aways. Wonder what they would be like to shoot now! I belive however they are illegal to own in NY unless handicapped!

Old 02-09-2006, 08:58 AM
Dominant Buck

There's a compound faster than this ?
Excalibur Exomax
I haven't seen a compound crossbow faster than that . I know what's on my Xmas list for this year , and it ain't a Matthews !
Old 02-09-2006, 09:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

I got to thinking about the predice against Xbows and I think it goes clear back to the Knight in armor days, the knights hated them because the commeners could polk a hole in there armor with them.Lee
Old 02-09-2006, 11:49 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

I got to thinking about the predice against Xbows and I think it goes clear back to the Knight in armor days, the knights hated them because the commeners could polk a hole in there armor with them. Lee
The knights also looked down on the longbowmen of the day too since the archers were also commoners and therefore not "worthy" of meeting a noble knight on the field of battle , especially since they didn't fight hand to hand unless they had to preferring to run instead . The longbowmen looked down on crossbowmen because they felt that since they had to practice from childhood to achieve proficiency and the crossbowmen didn't that they weren't "real" archers . Sound familiar ?

I crack up when a guy with a tricked out compound says that to me and then brags about how many Robin Hoods he has , Robin shot a longbow and wouldn't use sights or other aids even if they had been available back then as that wouldn't befit a true archer . I have to wonder what an acomplished 13th century combat archer would call a compound shooter with all those gadgets attached to his bow to help him shoot . My guess is that it wouldn't be "fellow archer" .
Old 02-09-2006, 12:17 PM
Fork Horn

HUNTERS WORKING TOGETHER

The only thing that should be important to each and every hunter in North America is doing whatever he or she can do to bring ALL hunters together in one unified force. We cannot do that by jumping on our brothers because they like to bait deer, or they like to run bears with hounds or any other of the stupid things that hunters beat up other hunters for. In the last decade (1991-2001) the number of hunters DECREASED by more than 1.7 million in the U.S.A. alone and like me, most of the remaining ones are older than dirt. And as the hammering of one another goes on, the animal rights whacko's slice away more of our support and heritage with each passing month
Instead of expending energy kicking fellow hunters around, we should be working with schools, youth groups and woman organizations to recruit new and young hunters from where ever we can. This is no joke! I want my grandchildren and great grandchildren to be able to experience the thrill and satisfaction of bringing wild game to the family table. I truly feel sorry for hunters that get so caught up in their own personal agendas for fear that they might be cheated out of game that they fail to see what is really important to our hunting heritage and future. Lord knows that there is plenty of game to go around! Lets get more people involved to share in the bounty and safeguard our hunting tradition.

As we travel around the continent, we occasionally run in to the contrary of mind and spirit, but for the most part, the hunters we meet are able to fathom our predicament and realize that we have a serious task before us. They get it! We can only pity those that do not and stand up to them for what is right. Believe me, along the way you are going to get ripped into, but one should always consider the source and remain true to your course. Those that persecute will eventually change (remember the compound issue) or they will alienate themselves from the mainstream of the sport and end up being miserable with those few others like themselves. We believe that anything that grows our sport is a good thing. Good for the participants, good for the game and good for the people who make their living from hunting and fishing.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:09 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Default Furture president of North America

I would like to nominate DKH for president of North America!

I all seriousness you are so correct Daniel. If only more sportsmen would think like that. I say sportsmen because organizations like Peta are going after fishing at this moment. Sooner or later we are all screwed if we don't start educating others and donating money to our organizations that fight for our rights (all outdoor sports). They are even after lead weights in fishing here in Canada! What the hell is next. When are we going to say "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it any more"? When it's too late?

Old 02-09-2006, 02:06 PM

Whew! Great response guys! Thanks a lot.

Wereally do need to reach out to fellow hunters and unite. I just hope and pray that the anti xbow crowd would widen their perspective and see our viewpoint.

Keep the ideas flowing. Maybe this thread can start educating people about our cause.

Quick Reply: Future of the Crossbow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.