Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 what crossbow should i get? >

what crossbow should i get?

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

what crossbow should i get?

Old 01-26-2006, 02:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default what crossbow should i get?

i'm looking for a 100 lb crossbow that is accurate and reasonably priced for a 12 year old. i'm open to paying up to $300. should i go to gander mountian and get one on sale or should i look for a certian one? and also what bolt and should i use a fixed blade or a mechanical? i'm hearing better things about shooting the fixed broadheads. just wondering what would be the best out there for me! thank you!
Old 01-26-2006, 04:20 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: what crossbow should i get?

I think personally you should look into at least a 150 pound if nessary a cocking aid could be used then I would go to a proshop that had many brands of xbows auch as Horton , Excaliber, TenPoint , Parker, and see what fits your budget and 12 year old best..
Personally I have a TenPoint and think it is great have also shot an Excaliber.. if your interested I know a guy that has an Excaliber Vixen for sale for $300.00 if interested send me a PM will send you his info if he hasent already sold it..
Old 01-26-2006, 06:46 PM
Fork Horn

The important part is the fit of the crossbow to hold and shoot. If it doesn not fit, he/she will not be able to shoot it well.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:17 PM
Fork Horn

Tenpoint has a new model called the SixPoint. It has a model called the slider that will allow you to change the power stroke and the draw weight to three different settings. I suggest you check that out for your son. It was designed specifically with theyoungsters and the fairer sex in mind. (Whoever came upwith term, "the fairer sex" never met myx-wife!)

TenPoint Crossbows: 330-628-9245
Old 01-26-2006, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

lol, you said your son, no my dad doesnt go on here. just me! i went to the bass pro shops and the yukon they had there was really nice. it was like 175lbs draw weight tho, i just cant handle that kind of pullback. it was like 180 dollars with a scope, quiver, and bolts. i thought it was pretty cheap. i'm going to look into the tenpoint xbows. everyone here is sayin some good things about them.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:14 PM

My cousin has killed a lot of deer with his Yukon...He likes my Hunter Max 175 better, but there's nothing wrong with his bow...if money wasn't an object, and I was going to only hunt with crossbow, I'd probably buy a 10pt.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:15 PM

Barnett quad 400 is a nice bow, 150 lbs. we have two of the 300's and mine was upgraded to a 400 and it works great for me.
around $300.00 for the bow , scope , bolts , and quiver.
I shoot the mechanicals , ( spitfires). every deer (13)and hog(4) has been a pass thru and an awsom blood trail.only had a blade or two that I had to replace.the others just resharpen.