Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 TOP TEN CROSSBOW RULES >

TOP TEN CROSSBOW RULES

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

TOP TEN CROSSBOW RULES

Old 12-14-2006, 04:55 PM

Default RE: TOP TEN CROSSBOW RULES

Your rule #8 is wrong.

The Excalibur cross-bows are designed to de-cock with the factory supplied cocking device.

Perhaps the rule would apply to other cross-bows.

When using such a cross-bow rule #8 and rule # 9 do not apply.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: nksmfamjp

ORIGINAL: DJH -------

"
*Never carry a cocked crossbow with an arrow in it while walking."

Why? I do this all the time, so I need to know.
It's just a general safety thing which becomes most important if you are hunting w/ others. There was a case not too long ago where an xbower shot and killed himself carrying a cocked and loaded xbow apparently slung on his back.

Also, I believe rule #8 applies to crank type cockers, and I've yet to see one of those from any mfgr that allows for decocking. I like many others decock w/ rope cocker and extreme care when it's not convienent to shoot a field tip.
Old 01-27-2007, 02:15 PM

hey thank's for the rule's on the crossbow. even though i have read the owner's manuel

Old 03-01-2007, 08:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

#2 and #9 do not quite fit. I get about 1/3 of my deer while stalkingwith out an arrow on the string be better of to stay home. Since I read the directions on my Exocet I have let it down with the rope cocker this works quite well and never a problem; while when I tried shooting into the ground it cost me an arrow about every 3rd time since I move to AR there is more rocks here than dirt. Lee
Old 07-07-2007, 02:34 PM
Fork Horn

The Stryker is designed for de-cocking "only" with the crank.

As for carrying an Xbow with an arrow in place, isn't that like carrying a loaded rifle? You put the safety on? (As long as a bump doesn't move the arrow away from the string?)

A few years ago, an off duty law enforcement officer was out deer hunting. He had his loaded hunting rifle on the back seat. He got out and grabbed his loaded gun by the barrel. The trigger caught on something and he shot himself in the upper leg/groin area and bled out in a minute or two. Also keeping in mind it's illegal in CA to carry a loaded deer rifle in your car.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:14 PM
Fork Horn

if I was stalking why would I not have an arrow on the bow. My guns are always loaded when walking around. As long as the safety is on and its pointed in a safe direction.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:19 PM

just buy a ten point crossbow and you cant dry fire it this is probabaly its nicest feature has anybody shot them illuminated arrow nocks out of a crossbow and are they any good if they are what brand is recommended
Old 05-03-2008, 04:34 AM

Most folks learn after once, the rest don't have a finger there anymore to rap!

The guys at the online store did not told me that, great
Old 07-28-2008, 06:45 AM

TOP TEN CROSSBOW RULES

*Never use a cocking device to uncock a crossbow.
Excalibur shows how to decock safely using a cocking rope.I have also cocked my crossbow in the stand with absolutely no difficulty or safety issues.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:42 PM

I think that it is wise to profess and put out the perfect rules for safety that will not result in injury if followed religiously.. there are some folks that are going to have absolutely no idea what could result in a deadly accident... I know alot of folks will do otherwise on some of the rules... It is possible I may choose to do so, but if I was going to tell a rank newbie what the safety protocol is....
dk

Quick Reply: TOP TEN CROSSBOW RULES

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.