Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Crossbow targets >

Crossbow targets

Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Crossbow targets

Old 01-20-2006, 02:36 PM

Default Crossbow targets

Was just curious what you guys use for a back stop. I used to use a floating bag target and it was fine for my old horton super mag but when I got my new supermax175 it blew right threw it. So I go to cabelas and spend seventy bucks for one of the "blocks" made for CB's (the brown ones) and I am really disapointed in its preformance. Its stops the arrows with only about 1/3 of the arrow left out and to get the arrows out I have to lay it on its back, put one knee on it and most of the time use two hands!! Not the easy one handed removal that I see on the advertisements. If I spray pam on the arrows it helps alot but then the arrows a burried right up to the fletchings and only works for about two shots. Just curious what you guys use.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:43 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Crossbow targets

I have the same target have not shot it yet just got it but from what I have read and the instructional dvd that came with my xbow it says if you are shooting target points to turm them clockwise 1/4 to 1/2 turn then back and if shooting broadheads turn them counterclockwise then back the same amount 1/4 to 1/2 turn this is supposed to make them pull out much easier also might want to get an arrow puller..
Old 01-20-2006, 05:26 PM
Fork Horn

I use a block and have found that even the ones for a crossbow have there draw backs. If the bolt strikes the block just right, the bolt can pass right through. I'm going to a second block to make sure I can stop a bolt out of my Barnett Quad 300.
Old 01-21-2006, 05:26 AM

I use a cheap bag target shooting field points at 300 fps. Bolts come out with 2 fingers. When it gets worn I stuff some more screen in & it's as good as new. Not for Broadheads though.
Old 01-21-2006, 01:56 PM

I use a "black hole" target and it stops my bolts before they go halfway into the block...very pleased with it
Old 01-21-2006, 05:29 PM

I currently use a Morrell Eternity target.
Old 01-21-2006, 07:11 PM

I don't mean to sound old fashoined or boring but I just use a round bale of hay. Shoot into the rounded side (not the flat side) and it stops them about half way out and I can usually pull it out with one hand. [&:]

[/align]
Old 01-22-2006, 08:13 AM
Typical Buck

Cardboard pieces stacked about 2 ft thick tied/taped together. I shoot broad heads . To remove them,I untie the stack open it up until I find the broad head . Unscrew the head and pull the arrow out. re-tie the stack and you are good to go again.when it gets too shot up I chuck it and build a new one. I raid the cardboard recycling bin just down the road. When I am done they get it back.
Old 01-22-2006, 09:21 AM
Fork Horn

http://www.horizontalbowhunter.com/news/news.asp?ID=68

I strongly recommend the Rinehard 18 to 1. I have been trying to shoot one up for three years now using broadheads. I organize two to three crossbow hunts a year with other ACF members and bring the 18 to 1 along for everyone to shot broadheads at. At this point in time, the target is winning the battle, but I am bound and determined to wear it down. I have been bowhunting for thirty-three years, it is it the best, and most durable target I have ever used. Nice and portable for traveling too. It's designed to take a licking.

Old 01-26-2006, 08:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

get a big burlap bag at the feed mill,fill it with rags.i have seen friends shoot over 300 shots and bag is still good and arrows go in just a little.dont waste your money on foam or other targets, use it for other things. try the bag/rags , you will be surprised.take care

Quick Reply: Crossbow targets

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.