Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Classifieds > Camping Gear
 Newbie cooking for 10 people >

Newbie cooking for 10 people

Camping Gear From tents to sleeping bags to grills, you will find all of your camping needs here.

Newbie cooking for 10 people

Old 05-30-2009, 07:23 AM
Spike

Default Newbie cooking for 10 people

I started taking up camping in Ohio this year (camping in zero degree weather in January and February). I'll be camping a few more times before I have a big August camping trip planned in Vermont with my sister and my nephews. There will be about ten of us and I'm looking for ideas about what kind of cooking equipment would be good. There are a lot of options out there, so I'd like to hear about equipment that has worked well for you.

Thanks!
Old 05-30-2009, 08:09 AM

Default RE: Newbie cooking for 10 people

Dutch Ovens!
Old 05-30-2009, 02:53 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: jmstevens2

Dutch Ovens!
The problem I have with dutch ovens is that most of them made from cast iron. I have a rare genetic disease called Hereditary Hemochromatosis(HH aka Iron overload disease) and I can't use iron cookware (such as cast iron pans).
Old 05-30-2009, 06:09 PM

You have to look harder, but they make clad dutchies. Haven't used one, but they should work the same. Our boys line them with foil sometimes too.
Old 05-30-2009, 06:12 PM

There are a lot of things that can be cooked by wrapping in foil and placing in the coals. Coleman and camping stoves are out there too. Look at scoutmaster.org and there is a lot of cooking ideas and cookbooks there to look at. If there is a scout troop close they could help a lot.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:12 AM

I have a CampChef 3 burner stove with the oven box that you can put over two burners or leave it off. It is great for cooking for a large group or a couple of people. We camp 30-35 days a year from big groups to just me and my wife. They are not the cheapest stove out there, but we think their worth it. You can buy a copy of it on ebay that is cheaper. A friend of ours bought one of them and they seem to be just fine also.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:37 PM
Fork Horn

Default camp kitchen

It's not the prettiest stuff in the world but you can pick up great cook ware a yards sales cheap. Over the years I have put together my standard cook ware set that is nothing more that an assortment of pots , pans, and utensils that I paid practical nothing for. If one gets left or damaged no big deal. We (3-5 hunters) do week long back woods trips every year and I have rarely not had it covered. The list is prety simple.

2 frying pans ( 1 happens to be iron but both could be aluminum)
1 small/average pot
1 large pot (double as a dish washing pot)
1 coffee pot
typcial assortment of cooking utensils

It all packs into a med size box with handles/carrry straps and weights very little. Everything but the iron frying pan is aluminum.

Proabably the handiest item but funkiest is the stove rack. My father showed up many years ago with this home made stove rack made from an old walker. I could barely allow him to come into camp with when i first saw it and now wouldn't leave home without it. It folds flat, weights nothing and hold the stove and cooking ware perfectly. Everyoine who see it laughts, but once they use it love it. If you need any details on how it is put it together let me know.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:10 PM
Spike

With 10 people, I wouldn't try to get huge equipment to feed everyone all at the same time. Not unless you are going to cook for this size group a lot. Most of the time you'll cook for way less people and that size equipment would be overkill.

Cook for 3 or 4 at a time, so everyone gets fresh, hot chow. Better to do that then cook, say, all the bacon for everyone at once, then all the hashbrowns, then all the eggs, etc., and by the time everyone eats, its all cold and stale. This is especially true in the cold or at altitude where food cools off tremendously fast.

I've also found that cooking for that many, and especially buying food for that many, is a major logistical challenge not to be underestimated. Double this challenge if you are camping far away from a reasonable trip to a nearby store. Quadruptle this challenge if you are in the backcountry. I've found it absolutely essential that a menu for each and every meal is planned and food bought accordingly. Plan for at least 1.5 times the food you would normally eat at home.

Also, discuss said menu with the rest of the crew to see if someone has an allergy or other issue with their diet. With a group of 10, someone likely will.

The quality of food is a major issue in determining whether an outing is fun or not. After all, you can't control the weather or the game, but you can control the food you enjoy. The person who is responsible for this task will determine, at the outset, the baseline for camping enjoyment or lack thereof. Some, like me, enjoy it. Others should never, due to lack of organizational skills, temperment, dietary choices, hygiene, etc., be allowed to inflict themselves on the entire crew.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Not sure if it will work on fire but i think it will. i saw on tv a ceramic coated iron skillet They said they are for people who dislike normal iron skillets or for some reason can not cook with them. i am thinking there coated as to not pick up iron in the food. But also though i am properly wrong i do not think the new iron skillets put off iron in the food. Check this link out it is for enamel coated iron skillets might ask your doctor before buying. http://www.amazon.com/Enamel-Coated-.../dp/B000N4YD9W
Old 05-12-2011, 04:55 AM
Spike

Thanks for your sharing really help to me...
thank u so much....///

Cooking Equipment Melbourne

Quick Reply: Newbie cooking for 10 people

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.