HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Camp Cooking and Game Processing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/camp-cooking-game-processing-30/)
-   -   ALL THOSE BONES (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/camp-cooking-game-processing/861-all-those-bones.html)

nohunt 01-07-2002 06:43 PM

ALL THOSE BONES

Venison Stock

7 pounds bones, sawed into 2-inch pieces
1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
2 cups chopped onions
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped carrots
2 cups claret wine
20 peppercorns
5 garlic cloves, peeled
5 bay leaves
1 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
1 1/2 gallons water
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place bones on a roasting pan and roast for 1 hour. Remove from the oven and brush with the tomato paste. Lay the vegetables over the bones. Return to the oven and roast for 30 minutes. Place pan on stove and deglaze with the wine, scraping the bottom of the pan for browned particles. Put this mixture in a large stock pot. Add the peppercorns, garlic, and herbs. Season with salt. Bring the liquid up to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook for 4 hours. Remove from the heat and skim off any fat that has risen to the surface. Strain the liquid and discard the bones.
NOTE: (Bones can be reused to make more stock, just re-add veggies and so on - - -)
Yield: 1/2 gallon

Freeze in milk carton for up to 6-months.
Can it up for the Pantry.
Use instead of water for that next soup or stew or any dish.
nohunt

whitetail1 01-09-2002 02:03 AM

RE: ALL THOSE BONES

we do the same thing for making gravy. tastes better than any store bought stuff.

CAPT BRAD 01-10-2002 10:18 AM

nohunt, can i have your permission to make a personal copy of that? thanks. capt brad.

nohunt 01-10-2002 10:30 AM

CAPT BRAD

Let me know if you like it?
That's the bestest one that I've run across and used. If anyone can think of anything to add into it to kick it up nothes better, scream out.

TIP: Throwing those spent veggies away always gets me. When I make up STOCK, I like to plan on a stew or something that I can also toss a bunch of dumplings onto.
Take a cup of those spent veggies, mash up half (or all of it if you want to) and fold into Dumpling Batter. Gives the Dumplings a nice kick.

Deleted User 01-12-2002 03:47 PM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

THE DEER SLAYER 01-13-2002 10:58 AM

sounds delicious

nohunt 01-13-2002 12:20 PM

Guys/Gals,
I should have added, To reuse the bones for making more stock, you have to resmear the tomatoe on the bones and reoven them with fresh veggie supply.

If you like 'Hot' like I do, I always add a hot pepper or three. Gives that stock a nice punch for that gravey to whatever.

Sure it is expensive to make.
We don't talk money when it comes to food and me.
The kicker is, try to buy anything off a storeshelf that is 1/2 as delicious. Can't do it!

nohunt

Snug down real good on that stock and shoot straight