HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Camp Cooking and Game Processing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/camp-cooking-game-processing-30/)
-   -   sausage (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/camp-cooking-game-processing/82246-sausage.html)

turkeyhunter2314t 12-11-2004 03:23 AM

sausage

gonna grind some deer this next week , any one got any good ring sausage recipes they dare give out? I've used a good one of mine for years , but willing to try a new one.

NVMIKE 12-11-2004 05:50 PM

RE: sausage

I'm trying three new ones today 1country/breakfast and two diff Italian, but wont know for 2-3 days how good they are. I'll let you know.

NVMIKE 12-15-2004 11:00 PM

the breakfast sausage was ok, the mild italian was a better breakfast sausage and the spicey sausage was top notch, they are just fresh bulk sauasge though. let me knowif you want em anyway.

jerseyhunter 12-16-2004 06:12 AM

I think we would all like to try them.:) Go ahead and post all 3 .:)

etothepii 12-17-2004 10:24 AM

Just today, one of my students brought me venison summer sausage with cheddar cheese and jalapenoes. YUMMY!!!!!!!

NVMIKE 12-24-2004 11:34 AM

basic sausage
2 1/2 lbs -meat 1/2 venison/lean pork (cubed small enough to grind)
1 1/2 tsp - salt
1 tsp -fine white or black pepper
1/2 tsp -dried thyme
1 1/2 tsp -dried sage
1/4 tsp -dried savory
3/4 tsp -sugar
1/2 tsp -crushed red pepper
Grind the meat together and mix with your hands until the two meats are thouroughly mixed. Add the seasonings and mix by hand again then regrind w/ a fine grinder plate. You can stuff this into caseings or just make patties ,which is what we do. also a little(or a lot) of garlic helps out.

NVMIKE 12-24-2004 11:52 AM

NORTHERN ITALIAN-STYLE HOT OR SWEET SAUSAGE

2 1/2 -lbs meat 1/2game 1/2 lean pork
1 1/2 -tsp salt (or to taste)
2 tsp - coarse black pepper.
2 tsp - fine ground coriander
2 cloves garlic -finely minced(I use 6-10cloves depending on size)
1 tsp - crushed red pepper for hot style.(I use about 2 1/2tsp)
1tsp - sugar for sweet style
Prepare same as above recipe. You can use sugar and red pepper in the same batch of sausage.

NVMIKE 12-24-2004 11:59 AM

e-mail me and let me know what you think of the sausage.

jerseyhunter 12-25-2004 09:40 AM

Mike I notice you use lean pork. When I used lean pork it seemed kind of on the dry side. Now I use pork trimmings and it comes out juicier. Guess it's just a matter of preference. I know my cholesterol is high and the leaner is more healthy, but what the hey , you only live once. If you intend to freeze your breakfast sausage for an extended period, I recomend you omit the sage as it doesn't freeze well. And you'll never miss it. But since you are making small batches you shouldn't have that problem.

NVMIKE 12-25-2004 05:58 PM

yeah, the lean pork does make for dryer sausage, and I dont trim fat if the pork is fairly lean. I just use the leaner pork for health reasons. this last batch I made the whole pork loins were mismarked and it was the cheapest pork in the store ($1.19lb)so I ground pork loins for sausage:D the whole time I kept thinking how good those would be as pork chops.