Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

canned venison

Old 11-10-2004, 11:19 PM

Default canned venison

I finally made some "canned" venison, jarred up in a pressure cooker. The meat is tender but to my taste buds nowhere near as tasty as conventionally cooked venison. It has the taste of what I remember as Dinty Moore Beef Stew that used to be sold commercially (maybe still is). Now I know where that meat flavor comes from. It's OK but pretty bland stuff, even with the touch of salt; may be good as a base or to pour in to venison stew, but I wouldn't say it stands on its own,unless you're looking for meat you can gum down. Any body raving over this stuff?
Old 11-11-2004, 05:57 PM

Default RE: canned venison

when we can ours,we add a clove of garlic,a shot of hot stuff and a little lowyers seasoning salt.there are other stuff you can add that makes all the difference in the world.it is also mainly for stews and BBQ and stuff like that.
You can to save freezer room and to have one small container for stews and chillies.

try some experiments to get the taste you want.have fun.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:12 PM

I must thank my ex for this one. Place 1T of beef bouillon powder in each pint jar before canning, melts in your mouth. I sometimes eat it right out of the jar cold
Old 11-19-2004, 04:34 PM

We can a great deal of meat. I too often change recipes. Always add garlic though and some pickling salt.
Great on noodles or rice.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

I love it. Plain, with beef bullion, hot sauce, or plain then in a pan with some brown gravy mix.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

I like to add a little beef tallow in the top of the jar when we can it. I have never used a pressure cooker. We have canned meat for 35 years just by cold packing. My mother canned chicken and stew and chille the same way. We cook it in the jars for three hours.