Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Heart/Liver question...

Old 08-23-2004, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Heart/Liver question...

I eat most of mine fresh. The rest I give away or don't bring in if the weather is too warm and I'm too far.

My question is...Can I freeze the heart or liver without it losing it's flavor? I seem to have read that liver goes to hell when frozen. Is this true? How bout the heart?
Old 08-23-2004, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Heart/Liver question...

they sell frozen chicken livers in the store and im sure a deer livers not much different?
Old 08-23-2004, 09:00 PM

pro ; I'm like you I usually eat them fresh.although I have frozen them for a week or so and can't tell the differenc.
Don't know bout any longer than a few weeks.
Old 08-23-2004, 09:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

You can keep the heart frozen in water for awhile but i dont know about the liver. Also for those who do keep the liver how is it? and how do you cook it???????? thanks!
Old 08-24-2004, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Carp...The most important thing I have found with deer liver is to skin it. There is a thin membrane surrounding the liver that needs to be removed or the liver is tough and chewy. It can be hard to take off on some deer, but its worth it.

I just slice it in about 1/4" slices, lightly bread it in flour and fry it HOT until JUST done. I take onions (already cooked in a little butter/oil) and top the liver with them and eat.

I do the heart the same way...except I don't always have onions with the heart.
Old 08-24-2004, 09:26 PM

cut the liver across in about 3" slices,then take a thin blade feliy knife and skin it, recut into 1/2" slices.season and flour and pan fry.remove from pan add flour to make gravey,brown the gravey ,cook onions till tender ,then readd the liver and onions. add about 3 or 4 TBS. of heavy cream to fourtify the grave.
Old 08-25-2004, 05:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Pro-line has the right idea on the removing that thin membrane. It should be removed when the liver is in one pieces before slicing the liver into thin slices. If you cook liver, you have to cook onions. It’s a must in my kitchen.
Old 08-25-2004, 11:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

trailer, don't forget about the bacon.
Old 08-25-2004, 01:26 PM
Fork Horn

Usually soak mine over night . After the seasoned flour I fry it up in bacon grease with tons of onions. I also fry up potatoes with bacon, onion and green pepper with lots of black pepper. nummy............Only ever done liver, don't think I want to try the heart. My dad and I were the only ones to ever eat it, used to be our thang. We'd always have it fresh.
Old 08-25-2004, 01:30 PM

I eat most of mine fresh
And I thought "Eat your heart out" was just an expression.

Quick Reply: Heart/Liver question...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.