Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Camp Cooking and Game Processing
 What do you soak your venison in? >

What do you soak your venison in?

Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

What do you soak your venison in?

Old 07-20-2004, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What do you soak your venison in?

I think that somewhere in this topic the initial "curing" process became confused with a "marinating" process.

You "cure" an animal right after you kill it and skin it.

You "marinate" it, if you like, just prior to eating it.

I might have been mistaken in my initial post...I read it as a question of "curing" rather then marinading.

I always cure my meat prior to freezing it. It seems to me that if most of the blood has not been removed prior to placing it in the freezer, the extra blood seems to have a "powdery" taste when cooked a few months later. By drawing the blood out in a brine solution, the meat tends to age better in a freezer.

As far as marinades go, I have several favorites. I cut my own steaks, so they are usually about two inches thick, and I generally cook only on a grill. These same basic marinades work well on beef also.

Teriyaki sauce
or
Zesty Italian salad dressing
or
Jack Daniels with brown sugar mixed in
or
A little "jerk seasoning" with bacon strips laid on top. (you must remove and replace the bacon as you turn the steaks)

For the shoulder cuts, I will occasionally wrap the whole thing up in thick bacon slices and slow cook it on the grill.

Another option is to put it in a smoker wrapped in bacon and use apple wood in the pit.

For what it's worth, I've never had any luck trying to "cure" a piece of meat after it has been frozen. So as I mentioned above, the distinction between curing and marinading must be made. I suspect that it was the word "soak" that threw me off.
Old 07-21-2004, 01:43 PM

Dave- I also took it as curing, not marinading, just FYI. I have many favorite marinades but this thread is for curing...
Old 07-21-2004, 01:45 PM

I also soak my meat when I get it cleaned ; as Dave said.
I just put it in a chest with ice and a little water. I add ice and drain "ALL" the water every day.I do this for 4 to 5 days.then I cut it and make my burger and stuff. alway had good luck this way.
great eats.[8D]
Old 07-21-2004, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

it would take alooooot of gin to soak a deer in it and gins not that cheap its like $14 for a bottle of the cheap stuff here and even though its mixed with blood it would be a shame to toss out that much gin when your done
Old 07-22-2004, 08:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

I like the wild taste.

I may soak it in Worcestershire sauce and milk just before eating.
Old 07-22-2004, 01:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

it would take alooooot of gin to soak a deer in it and gins not that cheap its like $14 for a bottle of the cheap stuff here and even though its mixed with blood it would be a shame to toss out that much gin when your done
Maybe he's also adding some tonic water and some lime slices.
Old 07-22-2004, 04:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Awwwwwwwww man they got this new a-1 marinade, weew doggie is that some good stuff mm,mm,mmm[8D]Great on jerkey too.
Old 07-22-2004, 09:13 PM

I like soaking mine in 18 yr old Scotch or beer......................no wait, thats for me, I dont soak the venison at all.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:28 PM

ORIGINAL: j3k2c1

venison gets soaked in nothing!!!!the key to good tasting venison is boning and removal of tallow. yummy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Same here
Bingo that's how I do it too.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:47 PM

Sorry for not getting back sooner... I was TDY for a few days. The original thought was to ask how folks prep the meat or draw the blood out prior to butchering/freezing or for that matter cooking. My wife has used the salt water trick prior to throwing a roast in a crock pot or soaking in marinade. I believe the gin theory was used to knock out the gamey taste prior to prepping the meat for cooking. Thought the comment was interesting and was curious what other ideas were out there. I've also enjoyed the marinade posts... can never have to many recipes in the book!

Thanks for the interesting feedback,
Piney