Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Camp Cooking and Game Processing
 Best Venison Sausage Process/Recipe? >

Best Venison Sausage Process/Recipe?

Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Best Venison Sausage Process/Recipe?

Old 06-25-2004, 04:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Best Venison Sausage Process/Recipe?

I've been using that after my first goof. The receipe called for pork butt but the loin was on sale and I wanted to quality not fat. Boy was I wrong. Did I just admit that? My wife better not read this. Ps. by the way Happy Birthday
Old 06-25-2004, 06:15 PM

Thanks Jerseyhunter for the birthday wishes. As far as my trek into making sausage, I started off with building a smoker and then I had to buy all the toys. Sausage stuffer #1 wasn't good enough so I had to buy another. A hand grinder wasn't good enough I had to get a big commercial grinder and so on. I must admit that the recipe I now have for kielbasi, both fresh and smoked is pretty good, let's put it this way my relatives and friends won't generally eat anyone elses during the holidays. I started out making about 40 to 50 lbs and now am well over a 100lbs. Let me tell you if the product is good they'll beat down your door to get it.
Polack
Old 06-25-2004, 06:17 PM
Typical Buck

how about giving up that kielbasa recipe?
Old 06-26-2004, 07:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Polack, If you like Bratwurst give Kutec's a try. pge 204.

Capricorn, Do you use instacure in sausage making? It is an ingrediant which prevents botulism at the low heat needed for processing sausage.
Old 06-28-2004, 01:31 PM
Typical Buck

I don't any kind of curing salts when I make sausage. I usually just freeze them with my Food Saver and they keep in the freezer for a year or better. I also don't smoke any of mine, so there's really no need for the cure.
Old 06-28-2004, 05:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Carpicon

Fresh Kielbasy- To 10 lbs pork butt add, 5 tbls salt, 1 tbls sugar, 2 large fresh cloves of garlic, 1 tlbs coarse black pepper, 1 heaping tbls marjoram, 2 cups ice water. grind and mix well. Stuff into casings. Let kielbasy sit overnight in fridge before using or freezing to allow flavors to meld.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:32 PM

Thanks for sharing the pictures and recipes. Gaining allot of good info off this post! Can't wait for fall to roll around!

Just wondering how are folks setup with equipment? What is your gear list for running through the process? What grinder specs should one look for? Brand? Horse Power? Grinder plates? Noticed mention of using a course ground vice fine? Are there any lessons learned within the equipment department? Hate to go purchase a few hundred dollar grinder to find out it really isn't what I needed.

Thanks for all the input...
Piney
Old 07-01-2004, 04:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

I started off using my wife's Kitchen Aid, all I did was by the attachments(Ie. pasta maker/grinder and stuffing tubes). Then as I started making more I bought the Cabella's 1/3 hp grinder to save the motor on the food processor. Then while stuffing hotdogs with the kitchen aid I realized it would be easier(because the meat is an emulsion) to use a stuffer, so I bought the Sausage Maker 10 lb. capacity. People have used hand grinders and hand stuffers with good results. It all depends on the size batch of meat your processing and the size of your wallet. Remember though, if you by a hand stuffer this year, and a professional stuffer the following year, it would make sense to save your money and by the good one from the start. Good luck and enjoy.

Ps I buy my meat when it goes on sale for 1.99 lb and make canadian bacon and smoked pork chops ,. And they want $8-$9 lb for it in the store. I make a 10lb-20lb batch. And vacum pack it. You do the math. For $9 lb it better have gold leaf around the edges.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:57 AM

Hey Jerseyhunter last year I was getting pork butt for $ .99 for a pound. To beat it , I got to know the butcher and he ground it for me free of charge.
That saved me from cranking up my grinder and having to clean it afterwards.
Polack
Old 07-03-2004, 04:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Polack the $1.99 a lb was for the whole boneless loin. I use it exclusively for canadian bacon. NOW or boneless chops on the grill.