Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Pickled Eggs?

Old 05-21-2004, 08:40 AM

Default Pickled Eggs?

I've got to many chickens and I'm alway's looking for different way's to cook eggs. Does anyone have a receipe for Pickling Eggs? is this done similar to the canning process?
Old 05-25-2004, 04:33 AM

Default RE: Pickled Eggs?

There are a few traditional ways of preserving eggs that I'm familiar with, one of the more popular ways to do it is the use of a substance called "waterglass" (which is liquid sodium silicate) another, more difficult way is the use of fermentation, much the same way as making sauerkraut from cabbages, and so on.
Off course, if you have a canning tool at your disposal, you could can hard-boiled eggs.

some other means of preserving would be keeping them (boiled & pealed) in salt water or (I've heard about this, not familiar with it myself!!!!) in vinigar.

If you ever get tired of eating all those eggs, I know of a few really good chicken-egg salad recipies ......

good luck
Old 05-25-2004, 02:15 PM
Dominant Buck

One of the raditional methods is indeed packing in vinegar with a touch of beet juice for color and flavor , some folks throw in beet slices too . I detest beets , so I usually pack mine into a jar with a 50-50 blend of vinegar and water to which I add:
Garlic
cayenne hot sauce to taste
pinch of Cavender's or other greek seasoning
fresh cracked pepper

Marinate for at least a week in the fridge .

Old 05-26-2004, 05:22 AM
Typical Buck

Try to get the bottle of brine/juice left over at your local pub that the pickeled sausages come in Primrose is excellent. Boil peal and add to the jar Yummy
Old 05-26-2004, 02:52 PM

Thanks for the tips! I've got several dozen eggs now, so plenty to experiment with.
Old 05-26-2004, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

my technique is quite simple -

hard boil eggs and peel (the hardest part)
heat up a brine of white vinegar, garlic powder, and pickling spices
put egs in a glass container - add brine....and you're done

i have added whole hot peppers and they are quite good
also have added onion slices
you can also poke egs with a fork and it helps them suck in the brine

i pickle sausage the same way

enjoy
Old 05-29-2004, 03:03 AM

Something that we do is buy a large jar of the penrose sausages, when the sausages are all gone, fill the jar with hard boiled eggs. Leave them in there for at least a couple of days then enjoy. Keep refrigerated. very good. My 4 yr old even likes them!
Old 05-29-2004, 06:10 AM

I have a question about the eggs on vinigar, how long do they keep that way? Just wondering.

Thanks,

kind regards,

Vesi
Old 06-17-2004, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

not long, they are too good

not sure what the shelf life is on them. I like to keep mine refrigerated. In the fridge they should last a loong time. I have found that when I have done sausage the fat that builds up in the jugs will get funky and moldy over an extended period of time.
Old 06-17-2004, 11:36 AM
Dominant Buck

The acidity of the vinegar helps keep down the bacteria for quite awhile , but pickled eggs don't last long at my house anyway !

Quick Reply: Pickled Eggs?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.