Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Seafood Boil?????

Old 05-17-2004, 06:14 PM
Typical Buck

Default Seafood Boil?????

My brothers and I are getting together for a week end of fishing and camping and the brother that lives in Houston suggested we have a seafood boil. He is going to bring the srimp , crabs and crawfish.

I was told to bring the rest. Question is what should I bring. I have never had one of these and I don't want to look stupid in my brothers eye.

thanks
Old 05-18-2004, 05:12 AM

Default RE: Seafood Boil?????

the most I have been in on had;small red potatoes ; corn on the cob (broken into) ; celery.
some red fish in hand size portions.
Old 05-18-2004, 12:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Don't forget the steamers. (clams that is) Maybe some cherrystones and mussels to round things out. Did I mention the lobsters? or maybe he meant the BEER
Old 05-18-2004, 08:10 PM
Typical Buck

Jerseyhunter: The brother that lives in Dallas is bring the beer. He has my 160qt ice chest and I told him that there should only be room for a limited amount of ice. That part is taken care of.
Old 05-18-2004, 09:05 PM

I am a self proclaimed crawfish cooking expert! I personally would ditch the other shell fish and just cook the crawfish. Or atleast cook them seperate. They will turn out better that way. Here's how I cook my mud bugs.

1. Thoroughly rinse crawfish with a garden hose.
2. Use 50 oz. of "Louisiana" brand powdered crab boil if you can find it. If not, get Zatarans. This is enough to cook 40 lbs of craw fish.
3. Bring crab boil to a boil along with a stick of butter. (Makes them easier to peel.)
4. Add small red potatoes and crawfish. Bring back to a rolling boil and cook covered for 5 minutes. Turn off heat.
5. Add corn, mushrooms, sausage. Let soak uncovered for 15-25 minutes depending on how spicy you want them.
6. Pour crawfish out and squeeze fresh lemon over the top of them.
7. Dig in and don't forget to suck a few heads!

Let us know how they turn out!
Old 05-19-2004, 09:34 PM
Typical Buck

Swamp Dawg; what kind of sausage do you prefer. Man this is making me hungry!!!!!!!
Old 05-27-2004, 04:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Smoked sausage or "Louisiana hot links" will do, but andouille is the best.

Growing up, we followed a similar recipe to Swamp Dawg's, but w/o the butter and we added 4 lemons & 4 oranges and several small onions to the boil. Once you've got basics in there, it'll all be good.
Old 06-18-2004, 07:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yes you need potatoes and corn on the cob. I went to one of those a long time ago and the guy cooked it in layers, He also had clams and a lot of other items, cant remember everything that was in the pot , but I do remember it was different , but it was good. And save the broth too.
Old 06-18-2004, 03:00 PM

I've been boiling shrimp for a long time. I grew up in Mobile AL and I have them flown out to Denver 2 or 3 times a year. I put corn, potatoes, lemons, limes, artichokes, whole garlic, ans a really good sausage in my boil. I would put the corn in right before you put your seafood in, or the corn will be very spicy. As soon as the shrimp come to a boil I turn off the fire and dump a few bags of ice on the pot. The ice locks in the flavor. Good luck.

p.s. don't overcook the seafood.
Old 06-18-2004, 03:02 PM

Oh yeah. I almost forgot. Don't forget to dump the entire pot of seafood on the table. The presentation is a big part of it.

Quick Reply: Seafood Boil?????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.