Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Can you eat bear?

Old 04-20-2004, 07:42 PM

Default Can you eat bear?

I'm guessing you can, but is it good, what do you do to it, what are the best parts, etc...
Old 04-20-2004, 08:31 PM

Default RE: Can you eat bear?

Id say you can eat bear, but that up to you if you want to eat while naked or not.
Old 04-21-2004, 04:43 AM

Yes you can eat bear, I think I like it best as jerky.
Old 04-21-2004, 07:52 PM

A couple of our freinds have had bear processed and said that it wasn't much to be desired. They didn't care for it at all.
Old 04-21-2004, 09:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bear is one of my favourite wildmeats. You get the same cuts from a bear as you would a side of beef, cook it the same too. BBQ, roast, stews, steaks, burger, jerky, sausage, what ever you like. Give it a try sometime, its good eating.

Ron
Old 04-21-2004, 11:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

My buddy that I hunt with in Wisconsin got a bear the last 2 years so at deer camp I've gotten to eat it. From all the bad reports I've heard over the years about how greasy it is and generally gross I was surprised at how good it was. We had a roast one time that was excellent, and we had chops a few nights cooked different ways. All of it was excellent. Bear jerkey and those little jerkey sticks are the best I've ever had also.
Old 04-22-2004, 12:26 AM

ORIGINAL: Bldhound

lol u cant east bear like jerky it has t obe cooked dfirst its sorta like pork lol
Old 04-22-2004, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's a recipe I got for bear meat from the old fellows up in Maine.
Take a large cut of bear steak, put it on a pine board and season it to your liking. Place the bear meat and the board in the oven and roast at 350 degrees for 1 1/2 hrs. Take it out of the oven, throw away the bear meat and eat the board.
Old 04-24-2004, 05:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

The only time I ever had bear was about 30 years ago, ground bear meat, very good in my estimation, sort of a sweet taste to it !!!!
Old 04-30-2004, 04:18 PM

It depends on what the bears been eating. I ate one bear that tasted like elk meat. I had two others that tasted like **** (i don't know what **** tastes like but it can't be good) One tasted like he had been eating dead fish! because he tasted like fish.

Quick Reply: Can you eat bear?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.