Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Wild mushrooms

Old 02-28-2004, 04:30 PM

Default Wild mushrooms

How many people gather wild mushrooms while out camping/ hunting?
I was introduced to shaggymanes 7-8 years ago and love to gather them to add to meals when hunting. That is really the only mushroom that I can safely identify, so it's the only one I pick. Very tasty added to scambled eggs or in a stew.[8D]
Camo
Old 02-28-2004, 04:39 PM
Matriarch Doe!

Default RE: Wild mushrooms

I pick a ton of chantrelles every year! I saute them in butter and then freeze them so I have chantrelles all year long. They are so yummy in just about everything! Omelettes, soups, fried up with elk or deer steaks. Mmmmmm!
Old 02-28-2004, 06:29 PM
Typical Buck

Morels,Leeks and fiddle heads in the spring and field mushrooms in the summer, Puff balls and shaggy manes in the fall. They all taste great.
Old 02-29-2004, 07:32 PM

I don't see many wild mushrooms in the desert known as utah!
Old 03-03-2004, 03:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I enjoy collecting mushrooms, soon as the snow leaves the morels will be the first ones up. Boletes and puff balls are also pretty common here and my favorite ones are the shaggymanes but they don't come up here until the fall, but you gotta get those quik before they go inky.
Last year I went through the burns from the forest fires from the previous year collecting morels and I was making $200.00 a day cash. I'm going to do it again this year because the ground is just littered with them. Sure does beat working in an office. Bobby
Old 03-08-2004, 04:02 AM
Typical Buck

I like my liver just the way it is. Its real one bite of the wrong mushroom and there goes the liver. It just isn't worth it. Just my 2 cents. And don't tell me you know what you are doing because that is the same saying the 50 or so dead a year from eating the wrong mushroom said!!!
Old 03-10-2004, 11:53 AM

MORELS thats where its at yum yum yum.....once in awhile we get a real good year and we can go out and pick bagfuls of them and other years we have trouble finding them,,,,,but in a creamy dill sauce they sure are good...
Old 03-14-2004, 07:51 PM

ive never tried and mushrooms
Old 03-15-2004, 04:35 AM

I try to gather some honey mushrooms when I can.
Old 03-16-2004, 04:14 AM
Typical Buck

Yhis is a bit long but should be read if you pick and eat wild mushrooms

How frequent are mushroom ingestions?
Every year across the United States, more than 9,000 cases of mushroom ingestions are reported to the American Association of Poison Control Centers. Many hundreds of cases of mushroom ingestions occur each year in California. Children under the age of 6 years account for a majority of these cases. The consequences of mushroom poisoning can be severe.
What is the difference between a mushroom and a toadstool?
Because there is so much misinformation about toadstools and mushrooms, the terms need definition. Some people mistakenly believe the word "mushroom" means an edible or safe variety and the word "toadstool" means a poisonous or bad mushroom. This is incorrect. Many mushrooms are poisonous and some toadstools are edible or safe.

How poisonous are mushrooms?
Medically speaking, "poisonous mushroom" means any mushroom or toadstool that causes an adverse or negative reaction when eaten. Symptoms can range from 6 hours of vomiting to lethal liver or kidney failure.

How many poisonous mushrooms are there?
In the United States, there are about 5,000 types of mushrooms. Of these, about 100 are responsible for most of the cases of mushroom poisoning. Less than a dozen species are considered deadly. However, death from other species, even so-called "safe" mushrooms, has occurred in very young children or in very ill adults. Some of the mushrooms that can cause death in healthy adults are the Death Cap, the Destroying Angel, the False Morel and mushrooms in the Galerina species. Almost every year, someone in California dies from eating the wrong mushroom.

"There are old mushroom hunters and bold mushroom hunters. But there are no old, bold mushroom hunters."

What are the facts and fiction about mushroom identification?
FACT: There are no non-scientific tests or rules that can accurately determine the safety or toxicity of a mushroom. Using the following "rules" could prove to be a deadly mistake! FICTION: A mushroom is considered poisonous if:
The mushroom stains when bruised
The mushroom secretes a milky sap
The mushroom turns garlic blue or black when cooked together
The mushroom turns a silver coin black when rubbed against it
The mushroom tarnishes a silver spoon when cooked with it
The mushroom has scales, warts or other types of rough surfaces
FICTION: A mushroom is considered safe if:
The mushroom grows on wood
Slugs or other insects eat the mushroom
Squirrels, rabbits, or other wildlife eat the mushroom
The mushroom is dried, boiled, salted or pickled in vinegar
The mushroom does not have a ring or skirt on the stalk
The mushroom is pure white in color
FACTS:
Some people can eat mushrooms with no problems, while other people eating the same mushroom will experience severe vomiting and diarrhea.
Some people can have allergic reactions to eating "safe" mushrooms.
Some mushrooms are only poisonous if eaten in large quantities.
Some mushrooms are poisonous when raw but become harmless when parboiled and thoroughly cooked.
Some mushrooms are poisonous regardless of how they are cooked or prepared.
Some mushrooms are poisonous only if eaten with alcoholic beverages.
Some mushrooms are classified as poisonous because they are hallucinogenic.
MORE FACTS:
Some mushrooms that are edible when fresh and young become poisonous when they are old, hit by frost or if they decay.
Some mushrooms, for unknown reasons, are poisonous in one part of the country and are not poisonous in another.
Some mushrooms that are poisonous to animals do not cause major problems in humans.
Most mushrooms are more dangerous to young children, the aged and the very ill.
Ideally, people and animals should never eat mushrooms that have not been identified by an expert or bought at the store. Unfortunately, many mushrooms are difficult to identify even for a trained mycologist, a biologist trained in the study of mushrooms.

How ARE mushrooms identified?
Is it easy to do?
Identifying mushrooms is an exact art that is very difficult and time-consuming. Before making a positive identification, mycologists look closely at the color, gills, spores, stalks and base portion of the mushroom. Spores are examined under a microscope to detect differences. The mycologist will also consider where the mushroom was growing, such as in the woods, on a lawn or on a tree before making an identification. Because of the involved process required to accurately identify a mushroom, it is impossible to identify a mushroom from a description over the phone.
Gourmet cooks who have harvested wild mush-rooms have been poisoned. To be safe, avoid all mushrooms not purchased at a store.

What symptoms do poisonous mushrooms cause?
There are a variety of mushrooms, divided into categories or groups. Each category causes different symptoms.
Group 1. CYCLOPEPTIDES: The first signs and symptoms may not develop for six to 24 hours, usually 10-14 hours after the ingestion. Symptoms begin with sharp abdominal pains, followed by violent vomiting and persistent diarrhea, often containing blood and mucous. In three to four days, the patient begins to worsen with symptoms of kidney and liver failure. Death is very possible.

Group 1A. ORELLANINE: Symptoms begin 36 hours to 11 days after ingestion. They include nausea, lack of appetite, headache and, most importantly, a severe burning thirst and kidney failure.

Group 2. IBOTENIC ACID-MUSCIMOL: A state resembling alcohol intoxication develops 30 to 60 minutes after ingestion. Confusion, muscle spasms, delirium and visual disturbances, which last for about four hours, develop following the intoxicated state. Vomiting usually does not occur. Drowsiness and sleep follow and recovery is usually rapid.

Group 3. MONOMETHYLHYDRAZINE: After six to eight hours, the patient experiences a feeling of fullness in the stomach followed by vomiting and watery diarrhea. Headache, fatigue, cramps and intense pain in the liver and stomach regions occur, followed by jaundice. Seizures occur in severe cases.

Group 4. MUSCARINE-HISTAMINE: Within 30 minutes to two hours after ingestion, symptoms include sweating, drooling, diarrhea, watery eyes, blurred vision, pinpoint pupils, decreased heart rate and blood pressure, and asthmatic breathing. (The sweating, drooling, diarrhea and watery eyes do NOT occur with other types of mushroom poisonings.)

Group 5. COPRINE: Symptoms will occur if this mushroom is eaten by a person who drinks alcohol within the next 5 days. Flushing of the face and neck, a metallic taste in the mouth, numbness of the hands and feet, palpitations, and an increased heart rate are the symptoms.

Group 6. PSILOCYBIN-PSILOCYN: These are the hallucinogenic mushrooms that alter consciousness. An intoxicated or hallucinogenic condition begins between 30 and 60 minutes after ingestion. The mood may be apprehensive (anxious) or pleasant. The person may experience compulsive movements and uncontrolled laughter. In children, a high temperature (102-106½ F) with seizures may develop.

Group 7. GASTROINTESTINAL: Within 30 to 90 minutes of ingestion, sudden severe vomiting and mild to severe diarrhea with abdominal cramps occurs. Symptoms generally last six hours. In children, this may lead to dehydration severe enough to require hospital treatment.

Can we just wait to see if symptoms appear?
DO NOT WAIT FOR SYMPTOMS TO APPEAR!
Just because a victim does not have any symptoms right away does not mean that everything is OK. Symptoms may not develop until several days later. Not all mushrooms are poisonous. But several people have developed complete liver failure after eating the wrong mushrooms. They received liver transplants and will be taking anti-rejection drugs for the rest of their lives. If no liver is available for an emergency transplant, the patient could die.

But aren't there antidotes to treat mushroom poisoning?
There is NO antidote for mushroom poisoning!
All mushrooms not bought at the grocery store are considered to be potentially dangerous.

Call the Poison Center as soon as you even suspect a mushroom ingestion. If a significant amount of time passes after the ingestion, treatment at a hospital will be required. Mushroom ingestions can be very serious and emergency treatment may be required.

Spring and autumn seasons with cool, damp evenings encourage mushroom growth. Check your yard for mushrooms before letting young children and pets out to play. Teach children not to taste or even touch ANY outdoor mushrooms.

Don't add mushrooms from the wild to your gourmet dishes unless you are absolutely positive that the mushroom has been accurately identified and is safe. The life you save may be your own.

Quick Reply: Wild mushrooms

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.