Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Cooking Rabbits !

Old 02-16-2004, 01:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Cooking Rabbits !

Par boil the rabbits for about an hour. remove rabbit from water and save water and allow rabbit to cool. debone rabbit and flour the rabbit chunks as they are deboned. brown the floured rabbit chunks in butter and remove from the pan but leave the drippings in the pan. add about 2 1/2 cups of the parboil water with 3 tbls of flour with salt and pepper to the frying pan and cook until it starts to thicken. Add rabbit chunks back to the gravy as you are putting biscuits in the oven.

split the biscuits and lay out on a plate and spoon the rabbit chunks and gravy over the biscuits. This is the ONLY way I will prepare rabbits. They make the best gravy of any meat hands down.

TRAP
I just tried this recipe, and it tasted very good. I fried the rabbit in bacon grease, instead of butter, but it worked ok.

The rabbit was a little tough though. Any suggesstions?
Old 02-17-2004, 10:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

I reheated the leftovers today, and they were even better than when I first cooked it! Flavors must have blended in the fridge. Thanks for the recipe trap!!!!
Old 02-21-2004, 08:20 PM

Sometimes your bunny can just be a little tough.
Old 03-14-2004, 08:54 PM

sounds good rbduck
Old 03-20-2004, 04:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds like a good one Dave