HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Camp Cooking and Game Processing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/camp-cooking-game-processing-30/)
-   -   tenderloin vs backstrap (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/camp-cooking-game-processing/48036-tenderloin-vs-backstrap.html)

wigmap 01-02-2004 11:02 AM

tenderloin vs backstrap

I have an arguement I am trying to settle. Is there a difference between the cut of meat that is referred to as the tenderloin vs the backstrap in a whitetail deer. Thanks.

rcw280 01-02-2004 11:18 AM

RE: tenderloin vs backstrap

I think most people consider the back strap tenderloin but the tederloin is the two little strips of meat about 12 inches long inside the body cavity towards the back the backstrap or chops are the two larger strips of meat above and outside the ribcage.

farmcntry 01-02-2004 11:38 AM

Backstrap is on either side of the spine along the back. The tenderloins are next to the pelvic bone behind the ribs.

Tree climber 01-02-2004 01:15 PM

if you think of it as beef ; the T-bone steak is the one with the little real tender part and the bigger part that is also tender but not quite as much as the littler one.the little part is the tenderloin ; the bigger part is the back strap.
after you leave that small section of the back,there are no small sections wiith the steak,getting into the porterhouse.

the back strap runs from the middle of the front shoulder to the ham joint.the tender loin is inside the body cavity about 12" long.

thats the way I look at it.[:-]

jerseyhunter 01-02-2004 02:28 PM

thats the way I look at it
Yes, but if you look at it cross-eyed :eek:you have twice as much meat.:D;)

StealthyOne 01-06-2004 08:47 AM

I have asked my butcher to put the tenderloins aside from my deer and he keeps 'forgetting'. How do I take them out myself? Anyone have a pic or detailed explanation. I may even start to butcher my own deer - prolly save a ton of cash.....

farmcntry 01-06-2004 08:52 AM

prolly save a ton of cash.....
You will and it is fairly simple. Your worst mistake on a deer still makes good burger. I'll try to find you some detailed info. from some prior posts.

Deleted User 01-06-2004 09:17 AM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

farmcntry 01-06-2004 09:38 AM

Red shows the tenderloins:

skeeter 7MM 01-06-2004 10:09 AM

I have asked my butcher to put the tenderloins aside from my deer and he keeps 'forgetting'. How do I take them out myself?
Stealthyone, all you need to do is take your knife and cut down the backbone towards the pelvis, I make a cut on the rear end of the tloin & then just use my fingers to pull the Tloin out. Some actually use a fillet knife and follow the contours with the knife to remove the Tloin(much like filleting a fish). Either way it is very easy to do upon gutting or skinning the animal. I remove the tloins immediately, as they skin up very quickly and well they don't need to be aged since they are the only muscle in an animal that doesn't actually do a thing...thus why so tender:D.

I agree butchering is not that hard, it will save you money and hassles. Plus it is an excellent way to learn about the make up of the game's body. Many don't realize the front shoulders aren't attached to the rib cage( in fact few realize how small the shoulders really are on a deer sized animal). Also don't know you do not require a saw to completely debone a animal, it can be all cut away following the bone structure and releasing the connective tissues. Many don't realize the sawing of bones can deter from the taste and quality of meat. Like mentioned you'll always have a grinder pile, so it will never be wasted and that grinder pile will shrink with experience.:)