HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Camp Cooking and Game Processing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/camp-cooking-game-processing-30/)
-   -   Venison Hot Wings (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/camp-cooking-game-processing/46272-venison-hot-wings.html)

nny243 12-15-2003 07:55 AM

Venison Hot Wings

OK. Spare me the "deer don't have wings" crack.

I made these for a party this weekend and they went over well.

Cut a backstrack lengthwise like you would split a sub roll. Then slice pieces across the grain about 3/8 inch thick so you have a bunch of small, pinky sized pieces. I then marinated them in worcestershire sauce overnight but you can skip this if you wish. Roll them in flour and fry in oil until brown. Then toss with whatever you use for wings. I made it three ways. Sweet: with barbecue sauce, medium: with tabasco type sauce, and hot: with habanero sauce and added cayenne pepper.

I suspect these would be better deep fried so I may try that next time. Pan frying them was messy and allowed the coating to come off a little.

the jerseyhunter 12-15-2003 10:11 AM

RE: Venison Hot Wings

Thet are better deep fried. Also you don't have to use the best cuts of the venison for these. The batter or coating seems to keep them moist as long as you don't forget to take them out when done, and I don't mean well done.:D

nny243 12-15-2003 11:12 AM

what did you use for coating? I just used seasoned flour but perhaps a flour, eggwash, flour combo might be better to create a little thicker coating, especially if they are going to be deepfried.

the jerseyhunter 12-15-2003 01:31 PM

I make a batter - ! cup of flour, 1 1/4 teaspoons double acting baking powder,3/4 cup cold water and a teaspoon of salt. This is great for small pieces the size of your thumb. They make great horderves. I also go flour egg wash and flour when making steaks sometimes.
Well I substituded beer for water and added a tablespoon of Emerils bam and kicked it up. Much better that way, Also dipping sauce would really kick it up.

Big Guy01 12-15-2003 07:33 PM

Wow! that sounds good I will have to give it a try. Do you cut the loin all the way through on the first cut? Or do you leave a hinge in it?

young_gun 12-15-2003 10:29 PM

i might have to give that one a try sometime, sounds like it would be a good treat

nny243 12-16-2003 07:52 AM

Big Guy,

The way I do it is to split the loin lengthwise at its widest point, so you end up with two fairly flat pieces. I then cut those flat pieces cross grain to produce many pinky sized pieces.

nny243 12-16-2003 07:53 AM

Jersey,

What do you use for sauce?

Striper Phil 12-16-2003 08:31 AM

Sounds great I have to try it. I am always looking for really good Hors' devors.

Made some Swedish meatballs once and they came out like cardcboard.

jerseyhunter 12-16-2003 12:28 PM

Sauce? Where I'm going we don't need, sauce.:D How about a little salt and either a soda or a beer to wash it down. Also like I said you don't have to use the backstrap. Works fine with any cut.