Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

jerky question

Old 12-05-2003, 05:37 PM

Default jerky question

ive heard that before you make jerky, the meat needs to have been frozen for like 90 days or something like that. anyone have any input?
Old 12-05-2003, 06:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: jerky question

Some one was jerking your chain.
Old 12-06-2003, 06:39 AM

no it doesn't.
Just cut and season and dry.
Old 12-07-2003, 10:54 AM

ive heard that it should be frozen for 30 days ,to kill some kind of parasite, more so if you use low heat to process it , i use a dehydrator, and i usually do freeze it first
Old 12-07-2003, 05:07 PM

ive heard that it should be frozen for 30 days ,to kill some kind of parasite, more so if you use low heat to process it
I don't think your freezer is cold enough to kill any parasites. Have you ever frozen a tick. they just hibernate and come back when it warms up. As far as processing using low heat, you should add instacure no1 to your marinade as this prevents botulism which is caused by just the right temperature . Ie. low heat curing. Lets be carefull out there. You can purchase the insta cure from the sausagemaker.
http://www.sausagemaker.com/
Old 12-07-2003, 05:19 PM

ive heard that it should be frozen for 30 days ,to kill some kind of parasite, more so if you use low heat to process it , i use a dehydrator, and i usually do freeze it first
thats what i heard. see, im not crazy!
Old 12-07-2003, 05:29 PM
Typical Buck

Trichinosis a parasite that could be found in pork or bear meat. It can be killed by freezing for 20 days at -5F, 10 days at -10F or 6 days at -20F. or you can heat the meat up to 138F to kill it. Since jerky is not usually heated but just dried. Only use certified Pork(pre-frozen to kill any trich) when making jerky or dried sausage. Better yet don't add any pork or bear meat to your jerky. Use the bear and pork for fresh sausage that will be cooked than you have no worries.
Old 12-07-2003, 06:07 PM

I have made jerky for the past 30 years and have never had a problem.I don't know of any parisite in venson or beef ; I may be wrong.with the reciept I use it would not let anything live in it anyway.

if you are worried about it ; just stick it in the freezer for a while and then make your jerky.
Old 12-08-2003, 05:27 PM

I made jerky yesterday and just happend to stumble upon something from the usda. They said the heat the jerky to 160 before dyhydrating it... for people using dehydrators or ovens this is what was recommended.
Old 12-08-2003, 05:47 PM

i use insta cure, then put in the dehyrator, i know for a fact that it doesnt get to 168 degrees . but ive made hundreds of pounds of jerky. i or any body who has had it has ever gotten sick from it .mabey im just lazy by skipping a step . or playing the odds either way id be hard pressed to change my method.

Quick Reply: jerky question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.