HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Camp Cooking and Game Processing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/camp-cooking-game-processing-30/)
-   -   Venison backstrap (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/camp-cooking-game-processing/425593-venison-backstrap.html)

bronko22000 04-28-2021 07:00 PM

Venison backstrap

First time trying this and was it delicious. Took about a 22" length of backstrap and seasoned it with salt, pepper, minced garlic and onion. Wrapped it in tin foil and put on the grill for 1 hour at 350*. Sauteed some mushroom and onions.
sliced the backstrap 1/4" thick, put the mushroons and onions over the top and some of the juice held by the foil. Mmmmmmm. Good

Oldtimr 04-29-2021 04:04 AM

Sounds good. I made 1/2 a backstrap three days ago, about 10 inches long. Lightly rubbed if with olive oil and salted and peppered it well. Then I put it on the sear burner of my gas grill 8 minutes on each side and turned it once, took it off and covered it in foil to rest for 10 minutes. Came out perfectly med rare. serve with sautéed sliced mushrooms and onions. I call the outside fillets back straps, some folks call the inside fillets back straps, I call them the fish or tender loins.

bronko22000 04-29-2021 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by Oldtimr (Post 4391014)
I call the outside fillets back straps, some folks call the inside fillets back straps, I call them the fish or tender loins.

You are correct Oldtimr. The outside sections running along either side of the spine are the back straps. Brings the out by splitting the spine down the middle and cutting the top of the ribs then slicing between each vertebrea will give you the chops. The ones inside the body cavity are the tenderloins.
Your method sounds good too. I'll have to try it.

grouch55 04-29-2021 05:31 AM

Not picking on anyone, Why put meat in wrapped tinfoil, Then put in grill ??? May as well put it in oven, Now here is my backstrap recipe ! Take a half length of backstrap, make a tinfoil boat to lay backstrap into, Pour bacon grease over backstrap , Sprinkle garlic powder, pepper and or any favorite seasoning blend, Place in smoker at 225 degrees, for up to 2 hours depending on how you like your meat, MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Bocajnala 04-29-2021 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by grouch55 (Post 4391024)
Not picking on anyone, Why put meat in wrapped tinfoil, Then put in grill ??? May as well put it in oven

cause it's nice outside and you want to be outside. Cause it's hot and you don't want to heat up the oven and the house. Cause you're at camp and don't have an oven. Cause you just want to. Plenty of reasons.

If Bronk says it's tasty, believe him! One of the best venison meals I had came out of his pressure cooker.

​​​​​​​-Jake

bronko22000 04-29-2021 11:09 AM

[QUOTE=grouch55;4391024]Not picking on anyone, Why put meat in wrapped tinfoil, Then put in grill ??? QUOTE]

First because what Jake said, second because I was also grilling burgers and third because the foil seals in the juices. And when those juices mix with the seasoning it goes right through the meat and there is some left to spoon onto the sliced back strap. (an au jus if you will)