Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Griddle?

Old 04-04-2021, 04:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Griddle?

Been thinking about getting a propane griddle since my grill needs replacing. I like the concept of being able to cook many more items on it, but it does sound like more maintenance seasoning the griddle and keeping it in good condition. Anyone here own one? Was looking at the Camp Chef and Blackstone brands. The Camp Chef can remove the griddle and has a regular grill under it.

Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks, Rob
Old 04-04-2021, 06:16 AM
Fork Horn

Im not going to pick one for you , but IF I was to get one there were 2 on the Blackstone list that would of interest me because they both had things that I would want.
One was the last one on their selection on page 3 because it had the drawers and has a hood. The other one was the 36 inch with burners on the right that comes with a deep fryer attachment . Burners for the pot of corn and the burners for the deep fryer for the steak fries . But after watching this video , I really do like the Camp Chef option of switching from griddle to grill .
Here is a youtube comparison of the 2 brands .

Last edited by SportsmanNH; 04-04-2021 at 06:45 AM.
Old 04-11-2021, 05:28 AM
Typical Buck

Depending on what you grill a griddle is a great addition to your arsenal but not the best total replacement for a standard grill. I have a blackstone and love it for burgers, breakfast, etc. However if you ever cook whole chicken, or legs thighs etc, ribs, steak I prefer a regular style grill for that. Currently I have a blackstone and a traeger grill and love the combo.
I would also consider where you would store it. I keep both in my garage. I have years of experience with cast iron cookware so I know about seasoning cleaning this type of cookware. Even with a good cover I can imagine you will have issues keeping a griddle nice outside, unless you live in a very dry environment.

There is a little more maintainence but it's not unbearable. Usually after we eat I got out and heat mine back up, scrape it, wipe it down, oil it, and turn it off. 5 to 10 minutes tops. If I cooked a full breakfast inside it would take longer to clean up three or four pans/skillets then it does the blackstone.
Old 04-11-2021, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good points flyinlowe. The Camp Chef has a regular grill under the griddle. That may help in some of the scenarios you pointed out.

Im still looking . . .
Old 04-20-2021, 06:43 PM
Spike

I think I saw some people build a fold-out griddle in their RV. And you can just pull it out. But that has to be custom made.
Old 05-20-2021, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I went with the Camp Chef FTG600. Should have it in a few days.
Old 05-30-2021, 04:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

The griddle is amazing. I would highly recommend it to anyone.
Attached Thumbnails Griddle?-d7ca5995-81d1-4552-a54e-2e64bdd3e581.jpeg  
Old 05-30-2021, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

You could feed a lot of people with that grill.