HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Camp Cooking and Game Processing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/camp-cooking-game-processing-30/)
-   -   Cooking Bear (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/camp-cooking-game-processing/423994-cooking-bear.html)

jnicholes 09-12-2020 03:19 PM

Cooking Bear

So, I just took my very first bear today. I finished processing it, and I’m going to fill out the mandatory hunt check report on Monday. I have no idea how to cook bear. Does anyone have any good recipes or recommendations I can use?

Oldtimr 09-13-2020 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by jnicholes (Post 4380738)
So, I just took my very first bear today. I finished processing it, and I’m going to fill out the mandatory hunt check report on Monday. I have no idea how to cook bear. Does anyone have any good recipes or recommendations I can use?

Cook the roasts the same way you would make a beef roast, same with the ground meat and other cuts. You can use the fat if you saved it like lard in pie crusts etc.

jnicholes 09-13-2020 05:40 AM

Thanks. I really appreciate it. I’ll try out a nice roast tomorrow after my report then. The meat needs to thaw.

Bocajnala 09-13-2020 06:59 AM

I enjoyed roasts from my bear. I also made a beef tips type meal. With noodles and gravy and bear meat cut into little chunks.
That meal went to a big family dinner and it was very popular.
The rest I ground up into sausage and me and the kids ate it up pretty quickly.

Make sure it's cooked to the proper temperature.

-Jake

jnicholes 09-13-2020 10:46 AM

I’m trying out bear tips and noodles tonight. Thanks for the recommendation!

Oldtimr 09-14-2020 03:01 PM

How was your bear tips and noodles?

jnicholes 09-15-2020 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Oldtimr (Post 4380859)
How was your bear tips and noodles?

Oh my gosh, it was so delicious! My mother, Who is not a fan of game meat, loved it.

You should’ve seen my dog, though. I don’t think he likes it. One look at the bear, and he just walked away. It’s very interesting, though. Whenever I get a deer, duck, or goose, he’s always there, always begging for food.

Not this time. I guess he’s not a fan of the smell of bear. Maybe he only likes the prey animals.

Oldtimr 09-15-2020 10:48 AM

Glad you liked it, I thought you would.

jnicholes 09-15-2020 06:59 PM

Ok, I stand corrected. I cooked a 2 pound roast today, had one slice and left the rest on the table. I went out to get some more stuff for dinner. Came home.

It was all gone. Where did it go?

I traced it to my dog, Buster. I guess I was wrong.

Boy, once he’s had game meat, whether it be duck, goose, deer, or bear, you’ll never get him back on regular dog food again.

Viking1204 12-09-2020 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by jnicholes (Post 4380935)
Ok, I stand corrected. I cooked a 2 pound roast today, had one slice and left the rest on the table. I went out to get some more stuff for dinner. Came home.

It was all gone. Where did it go?

I traced it to my dog, Buster. I guess I was wrong.

Boy, once he’s had game meat, whether it be duck, goose, deer, or bear, you’ll never get him back on regular dog food again.

Not surprised, dogs love game meat, at least all the ones I've been around do!