Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Camp Cooking and Game Processing
Summer sausage for the first time, is this right ? >

Summer sausage for the first time, is this right ?

Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Summer sausage for the first time, is this right ?

Old 10-25-2019, 02:25 PM
Spike

Default Summer sausage for the first time, is this right ?

So I’ll used a package and followed the directions. About 60% beef, 30% pork & 10% Venice. Was to smoke for 24 hrs at 90-100 deg. It did but it did not seem dry enough in the center so I put it back in for about 20 more hrs. Ran the temp a little higher 110-117. Still looks the same.
Old 10-26-2019, 06:11 AM
Spike

Sounds dangerous and wrong!!! Start your smoker out at 100 deg for 1 hr to dry the product with smoke . Raise temp to 120 deg for about 2-3 hrs with smoke. raise the temp to 140- 150 and begin to monitor your internal temp Your looking to get about 160 degrees inside . No more smoke is necessary as it will just make the taste bitter. I usually leave at 150 for about an hr anr then raise the temp to 190 to finish the cooking process. 1 more batch of smoke wont hurt but you will know if you get too much. Adjust to your taste. 145 degrees kills trichinosis and depending on your fat content as to how dry the inside of your sausage will be, just make sure your temps are up to safe temps.
Old 10-26-2019, 08:39 AM
Spike

I’m a little confused as to the package directions as to smoke for 24 hrs at 90-100 deg and your advice. I just seem to have more questions than answers. Also it states a hot smoke (not for this) at 120-130 4-5 hrs, still not up to your advice. 🤔
Old 10-26-2019, 06:39 PM
Spike

Does it give you an internal finished temp? Who's the package co that your using. Look on the net, finishing sausage has specific temps to go by. Food poisoning is not fun!
Old 10-29-2019, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

It is possible the package contains some sort of preservative. Jerked meat is dried at temperatures more in line with those the OP used.
Old 10-29-2019, 11:20 AM
Spike

My jerky is finished at 160* , Summer sausage is usually 2 1/2 - 3 " round . Even with preservatives it must be cooked, There are cold smoked recipes that are dried such as Italian Salami, but most of the time they just get a light or no smoke.
Old 11-01-2019, 04:20 PM
Spike

I agree. Even 24 hours at only 90-100 degrees doesn't sound right. No way I would eat that. Pretty much a guarantee that it'll cause gastrointestinal problems and could be dangerous. Any chance that could be Celsius?? Would love to know the manufacturer of the kit as well. I agree that you should be looking for a minimal internal temperature of 160F, no less.
Old 11-03-2019, 07:20 AM
Fork Horn

I cook my Summer Sausage to 145° and hold it there for 10 - 15 minutes to get a moister product.Bateria doesn't even start to die until you hit 126 and the lower the emp. the longer it takes to get a proper kill of them.

If you look at my attachment. Everything under 140 is considered the danger zone. Bateria will all die to a Log7 time frame time, but will take 380 minutes of it. 139³ IT takes 15 minutes. You are not getting high enough to even start killing bacteria.

Are you trying to cold smoke with cure #2? This would not be Summer Sausage. Or working in Celsius?
Attached Thumbnails Summer sausage for the first time, is this right ?-2304dangerzonetable3.jpg  

Last edited by archeryrob; 11-03-2019 at 07:24 AM.
Old 11-03-2019, 07:27 AM
Fork Horn

Another chart showing how the time curve drops off very fast heading to 160° but the lesson is you must be over 140° and 145 - 150° is even better.
Attached Thumbnails Summer sausage for the first time, is this right ?-pasteurization-chart.png