Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Camp Cooking and Game Processing
New Hunter, Advice on Processing? >

New Hunter, Advice on Processing?

Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

New Hunter, Advice on Processing?

Old 09-16-2019, 03:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
You must have had a typo here OT. It seems you're saying soaking in ice water for that long is ok. And I wasn't going to argue with you on it. I just knew I wouldn't be doing it lol.

But in your last post I see what you meant.

-Jake
That should be I bet you would't eat it. I tried to edit it but thee is no edit button anymore.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 09-16-2019 at 03:46 PM.
Old 09-16-2019, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator

The powers that be decided to remove the edit option after a certain time frame.

I'll go in and change it for you just so it's clear to everyone else.

And I agree. I've used cooler and ice for short term cooling and transportation. But I don't like it as a long term option. If it's cool enough I like to let them hang. But if I can't hang them I get them cut up quickly.

-Jake
Old 09-22-2019, 04:16 PM
Fork Horn

Good for you for wanting to get into processing yourself. That said, the quality of your meat will be directly proportionate to the care it gets in the field and in processing: Cool quickly, keep it (including the field dressed carcass) scrupulously clean, and having an appropriate clean /cool place to process it. If you are immediately skinning and quartering, you can wrap on plastic and put in the freezer until have more time. If it is warm, I do not hesitate to get it to a processor (I strongly recommend tracking one down ahead of time). I wont risk the meat turning for the cost. There have been a few occaisions when I simply didn't have an appropriate place to butcher.
Work for that, hope for that, but until you are able to promptly get to the meat and process it in a clean area, it is ok to err on the side of having it done. I usually clear my work bench and cover it with heavy plastic sheeting, and put my clean cutting boards on it. Watch the videos, if chance permits help someone else do a few, and just keep in mind the more you do, the better the results. It is unlikely anyone is going to put out butcher shop quality roasts, steaks, etc. starting out...but it will still taste like venison!
Old 01-02-2020, 01:44 PM
Fork Horn

Just to let you know venison is not like beef,,,Beef you let hang to tenderize the meat Venison IT DOES NOT MATTER,
When I kill a deer I feild dress and bring it home where I skin it,,De-Bone it And put the grind meat in one container and the Back Straps in a another .
Save a couple of the hind chunk's for steakes and such
I use a fillet knife for De-Boning this work's great
Old 01-03-2020, 03:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

nonsense, aging venison does make a difference, a significant difference in flavor.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 01-03-2020 at 03:21 AM.
Old 01-03-2020, 03:25 AM
Super Moderator

It has made a difference in my experience.

-Jake
Old 01-04-2020, 09:03 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
aging venison does make a difference, a significant difference in flavor.
I agree ! It makes a big difference ! I have butchered them myself , have had them done by a deer processor that did not have a wall in cooler that cut
them up while you wait . Then 15 years ago I started bringing them to a slaughter house that skins them right away then hangs them for 7 days before processing them .
Without a doubt the meat was best tasting and most tender from the slaughter house that hung them for 7 days. Not even close. There was no comparison
Old 01-05-2020, 07:58 AM
Fork Horn

To each their own,,I also have done it earlier in my hunting(Let them hang)compaired to not ,,No difference.It depends on the deer Buck in rut will be stronger,-vs- a doe ect...
I had ask multiple game processors They agreed it did not make a difference.But like I said to each their own
They did say alot depends on how it is field dressed how long it layed where it was shot ect..