Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Aging venison

Old 01-20-2019, 10:25 AM
Spike

Default Aging venison

How do you guys do it.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator

How about a cloth material instead of plastic.

Like pillow cases?

-jake
Old 01-25-2019, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cheese cloth
Old 01-26-2019, 01:14 PM
Spike

Thats a good idea.I really like the pillow case. We'll give that a try for sure.guess it my need a pan under it.
Old 01-26-2019, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator

I've used pillow cases while traveling for meat transport. They worked well.

-Jake
Old 05-04-2019, 02:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
I've used pillow cases while traveling for meat transport. They worked well.

-Jake
You can buy game bags, they come in sets of four with different sizes for different animals. I used them to bring my elk home after it was skinned and quartered till I got it to the butcher shop. Then it was aged in a walk in without the game bags as it should be. When aging meat it should have air circulating around it so the liquid can drain out away from the meat,, not in a plastic or cloth bag.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
You can buy game bags, they come in sets of four with different sizes for different animals. I used them to bring my elk home after it was skinned and quartered till I got it to the butcher shop. Then it was aged in a walk in without the game bags as it should be. When aging meat it should have air circulating around it so the liquid can drain out away from the meat,, not in a plastic or cloth bag.
That is correct. I agree 100%
Old 11-17-2019, 01:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have to agree with oltmr on this one. If the weather is decent we will let a deer hang for 5 to 6 days before cutting it up. I have also picked up a couple of road kills in the past when coming home from working all night in the summer. I would quarter them up and lay them on some racks in an old fridge that we keep water, sodas and the like in for our grandchildren. Just let them lay on it for 3 to 4 days. As long as cool air can get at it and cool the heat out of the meat is the main thing..
Old 01-02-2020, 01:55 PM
Fork Horn

I Do Not age my venison ,,It Does Not Matter,,,,De-Bone it put in freezer then let it get half frozen then process it then let it freeze for 15 days to kill any nasty bugs in the meat and all is good
Old 01-02-2020, 01:59 PM
Fork Horn

If You ask any Wild Game Processer they will tell you the same thing if they are worth a grain of salt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.