Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Camp meals for 6 people

Old 04-01-2018, 12:30 AM
Super Moderator

Default Camp meals for 6 people

Hey ya'll

What are some of your favorite camping meals?

Going on a trip this fall with six people and will be primarily cooking at the campground. Will have access to a grill with side burners.

Easy set up and cleanup will be important. As well as stuff that can be premade at home. Anything to simplify the camp work will help.

Planning on being gone a week, so need a week worth of ideas. Breakfast and lunch will be kept simple with snacks, sandwhiches, etc. Want to cook something hot for dinner though.

Thanks!

-Jake
Old 04-01-2018, 03:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Venison Chili, just don't invite Mongo to sit around your camp fire.
Old 04-01-2018, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator

Not sure I want to feed them all chili when I gotta sleep in the same tent lol...

-jake
Old 04-07-2018, 05:58 AM
Spike

meatballs in mushroom sauce, precooked noddles, and a couple cans of veg. everything can be reheated on top of grill
Old 04-09-2018, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator

I think I'm going to premake allot of things, freeze them at home, and pack them that way into the cooler.

Bags of meatballs can be easily cooked in sauce, then frozen to be reheated at the camp site.

I've done this in the past and had good meals that way and I think that's probably the route I'm going to go. Pre marinate steaks, chicken breast, froze then thawed to cook at the camp.

What about the precooked noodles? what do you mean by that? Boil them at home then just reheat at camp?

Good advice so far everyone keep it coming.

I'll have at least four camping trips with the wife and kids between now and then to try some of these ideas out.

May 5th is our first one. It's at a 50 mile race that I'm attempting so the wife will do the bulk of the cooking.

-Jake
Old 04-09-2018, 01:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Stew freezes well and tastes good at hunting camp.

Boiling spaghetti noodles, heating up frozen meat sauce to serve over the spaghetti is pretty easy. I'm not sure how well cooked spaghetti freezes, thaws, and reheats. The noodles might be extremely mushy. I suggest boil them at camp.

I have taken frozen Stauffer's Lasagna in a family sized portion and heated that up on top of a griddle in hunting camp before.
Old 04-10-2018, 05:59 AM
Spike

I always take stew, but I don,t put potatoes in it , they taste alot different when frozen. (bad)
Old 04-10-2018, 06:04 AM
Spike

I boil my noodles at home. don,t freeze, keep in cooler sealed. It is to hard to boil things above 5000ft. If you not going hunt high then thats different .
Old 04-12-2018, 12:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Ron1324
I boil my noodles at home. don,t freeze, keep in cooler sealed. It is to hard to boil things above 5000ft. If you not going hunt high then thats different .

We camp at 11,500 feet elevation. We don't tend to cook but just reheat food (exception is grilling steaks). We do boil water to make hot cocoa. I suppose the boiling point of water is lower at higher elevations, so the water doesn't get as hot. What is the consequence of that -- just slower cooking or incomplete cooking in some sense? I've never tried it, just asking.

I think it is a good insight to cook noodles at home, not freeze them, and reheat them at altitude. I have had reheated spaghetti noodles that were NOT frozen and they tasted OK.

By the way, this might be too elaborate, but at least theoretically it could be possible to overcome the problem of cooking at altitude using a pressure cooker. As I say, practically speaking, we just reheat food as we are in no mood to work at cooking in elk camp. In fact, odd as it may seem, we have to compel ourselves to eat food in any case. For some reason we are not very hungry up there.

Last edited by Alsatian; 04-12-2018 at 01:00 PM.
Old 04-13-2018, 03:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

I like to have some potatoes already boiled and then some onion sliced up or chopped. Then add some fish which is white perch here and a big frying pan set over a bunch of hot coals. Nothing like cooking over an open fire after a day of hunting..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.