Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

deer heart

Old 01-21-2018, 03:04 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
I don't eat any organ meat. Heart and liver go out with the guts.
can't argue , I did the same for many, many years .. then I tried it , have you tried it ??
Old 01-22-2018, 03:00 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by davidg
can't argue , I did the same for many, many years .. then I tried it , have you tried it ??
I never liked any liver or kidney but did like heart and always saved and ate it. Many years ago my father's cardiologist told him to not eat any animal organs. I quit eating heart at that time.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't remove it from the chest cavity, doesn't hurt a thing leaving it there, pressure cook it for an hour, slice it up add salt and enjoy, I eat it sparingly........cause I'm old, fat and have high blood pressure.
RR
Old 01-23-2018, 07:46 AM
Spike

I haven't tried the heart though I do some cooking with the liver. Though some of the cooking ideas here are interesting and worth trying.
Old 01-24-2018, 04:19 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
I never liked any liver or kidney but did like heart and always saved and ate it. Many years ago my father's cardiologist told him to not eat any animal organs. I quit eating heart at that time.
Did he give a reason? I have never tried deer heart or liver but I love chicken livers and Beef liver with onions.

With the beef liver I pan fry with the onions then add brown gravey and cook on low for an hour or so. For the sides gotta have mashed taters and cabbage......Getting hungry thinking about it. Its a delicacy to me cause the wife won't touch it so I don't get to cook it very often. lol
Old 01-24-2018, 06:24 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by kellyguinn
Did he give a reason? I have never tried deer heart or liver but I love chicken livers and Beef liver with onions.

With the beef liver I pan fry with the onions then add brown gravey and cook on low for an hour or so. For the sides gotta have mashed taters and cabbage......Getting hungry thinking about it. Its a delicacy to me cause the wife won't touch it so I don't get to cook it very often. lol
I bet you that you would like the deer liver MUCH better ..I understand people not liking beef but deer is mucho mas Bueno(much more gooder)
Old 01-24-2018, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Certainly, food for thought (pun intended). When I field dress a deer, I am always in a hurry to get it done. Don't know why. Wet, bloody hands in the cold. Darkness setting in? Cold beer at the meat pole? I don't know. Just pull a Larry The Cable Guy and get-r-dun.

Just like with the deer's neck, I am going to reconsider my game prep while in the field and possibly try the heart from next years harvest provided I don't put an arrow or bullet through it.
Old 04-06-2018, 04:09 AM
Spike

are tryed to smoke this meat?
Old 04-06-2018, 04:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

I love the heart and liver. Slice them thin, flour and fry on the day the animal was taken. Now that's feedin' right!
Old 04-10-2018, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rogerstv
Certainly, food for thought (pun intended). When I field dress a deer, I am always in a hurry to get it done. Don't know why. Wet, bloody hands in the cold. Darkness setting in? Cold beer at the meat pole? I don't know. Just pull a Larry The Cable Guy and get-r-dun.

Just like with the deer's neck, I am going to reconsider my game prep while in the field and possibly try the heart from next years harvest provided I don't put an arrow or bullet through it.
I like the way you think. I grind the heart with burger. I can field dress a deer at night without a flashlight and looking over my shoulder for griz.

Bobby

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.