Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

deer heart

Old 01-17-2018, 09:46 AM
Fork Horn

Default deer heart

Hey-- just hangin' round the house today and my wife put together deer heart soup . just wondering if anybody else ever saves the heart and / or liver .. excellent soup .. heart has a very different texture that is wonderful .. the liver is the best liver .. she says the liver is kind of a pain cause she has to skin it and it's real bloody .. still can use it for supplemental dog food , mixed w/ dry .. you can look up a recipe , hers involves tomatoe , onion , okra , mushrooms , mmm..mmm
Old 01-17-2018, 10:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

I don't eat heart from animals, I do from fowl. I do like liver and onions, beef or deer.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I haven't had the urge to try deer heart. I'm focused on the backstaps with a freshly harvest deer. Now beef heart was better than I thought. It reminded me of beef tongue in a way.
Old 01-17-2018, 05:23 PM
Fork Horn

Deer heart is very good! I slice it in two pieces to get out all the connective tissues/etc. then soak it in salt water. I then slice it, roll in flour and fry it like backstrap steaks. I used to boil it till tender then cool an put on a sandwich, but older deer are a tad more gamy tasting to me. Taste just like beef!!

I only got two hearts this year that were edible. The other three were shot up too bad to save...
Old 01-17-2018, 11:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I slice mine, dip it in bread crumbs, and fry it in olive oil.

I always throw the heart back in the chest cavity after field dressing. I was not a happy camper this weekend when I got a deer home and found out the heart had apparently fell out during the drag somewhere.
Old 01-18-2018, 04:02 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by rockport
I slice mine, dip it in bread crumbs, and fry it in olive oil.

I always throw the heart back in the chest cavity after field dressing. I was not a happy camper this weekend when I got a deer home and found out the heart had apparently fell out during the drag somewhere.
I actually carry a 1 gal. zip loc in my pack just for this occasion .. this thread was really just a hint for people to utilize all you can on any harvest ..and don't forget about your dog .. they'll love it .. only in moderation of course
Old 01-18-2018, 04:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by davidg
I actually carry a 1 gal. zip loc in my pack just for this occasion .. this thread was really just a hint for people to utilize all you can on any harvest ..and don't forget about your dog .. they'll love it .. only in moderation of course
I mean to do the same but I always forget to put a new zip loc in there after I kill one.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:25 AM
Spike

I got a great tasting and simple recipe for heart which has now turned it into one of my favorite meals. Slice the heart into 1/4 inch slices trimming away any artery veins or rubbery type meat. Lay the pieces on a double folded square piece of tin foil and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and season with Montreal Steak seasoning. Wrap the sides of the foil up and over the meat making a tent and seal tightly. Put on coals of campfire/grill for 10 minutes and enjoy. Almost better than backstrap!
Old 01-20-2018, 03:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

There’s some good ideas here that I have never tried before. Mostly I enjoy it sliced thin and fried with butter to have with some eggs in the morning. It has always tasted great to me..
Old 01-21-2018, 02:09 PM
Dominant Buck

I don't eat any organ meat. Heart and liver go out with the guts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.