Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

deer heart

Old 04-11-2018, 04:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Used to do both the liver and heart. then one year while sliceing some liver I found liver flukes. Haven't kept a liver since.

"You may not want to know what I’m about to tell you: Whitetails are virtual school buses for parasites. They are packed from nose to tail with mucus-covered lifeforms.

The good news is these parasites are all completely harmless to people."

https://www.qdma.com/wp-content/uplo...uke_qdma_2.jpg

"Liver Fluke – This beast will give pause to any hunter who enjoys deer liver ‘n onions. The 1- to 3-inch long, leech-like fluke is the adult stage of this parasite, and it resides in capsules inside a deer’s liver and feeds on blood. The photo above shows a sliced liver, revealing capsules containing adult flukes, and another adult fluke is seen lying on top of the slice. Eggs from the adult are passed out in deer scat, and the larvae infect certain species of aquatic snails. Later, another life stage emerges from snails and climbs up aquatic vegetation, where it waits for a deer to eat the plant and complete the cycle."

Just grossed me out and I don't want to be picking thru the liver to get rid of thre flukes.

Al
Old 04-12-2018, 03:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

love both the heart and liver. I usually pickle the heart. liver bacon & onions is most delicious!
Old 04-13-2018, 10:22 AM
Fork Horn

I've made heart steaks, and it was a bit chewy for me. My M-i-L used to make pickled deer heart when I could give them to her. My wife complains about the smell if I do it. I have a liver and heart now and plan to add some deer meat and pig fat and make liverwurst and see how that is.