HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Camp Cooking and Game Processing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/camp-cooking-game-processing-30/)
-   -   Advice for a rookie...? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/camp-cooking-game-processing/416897-advice-rookie.html)

Jakethasnake 01-16-2018 04:47 PM

Advice for a rookie...?

So I've run into a bit of a question... I'm rather new to deer hunting and getting my meat processed... I harvested 2 does this past Saturday, and was called Monday before noon to announce they had both of my deer processed and ready for pickup...

I had them leave the backstraps, tenderloins, and roasts in tact but made sausage out of the rest.

Something that was brought to my attention, by a friend, after I picked up my processed deer is the Processor did not have time to properly bleed out the meat... Is this something I should be concerned with? I've already frozen the meat, but should I thaw the backstrap, tenderloins, and roasts, and do a sort-of bleed out procedure for a day or two? or just find a different processor for my future harvests?

Also on a side note- the processor packed everything on Styrofoam backing and plastic wrap like what you would find at the grocery store... Do I need to re-package to prevent freezer burn? or is this sufficient?

Thanks for your time!

Oldtimr 01-17-2018 03:47 AM

Dead animals do not bleed out , when the heart stops the bleeding stops. If hung, meat will lose some blood through gravity. I have my deer hung in a walk-in for 6 or 7 days to age a bit but it will still exude blood when it thaws out, that will always happen. If you are concerned about the blood, put your meat in a collander or kitchen sieve when it is thawing and then put the collander or seive in a bowl and put it in the fridge and excess blood will drain into the bowl. Venison burger is usually bloodier than beef, not to worry.

davidg 01-17-2018 03:50 AM

I think it would be better to have bled it out . but I tell ya what we do , when you thaw it to cook .. put tenderizer on it (after thaw) and let it sit in fridge for 2 days before cooking .. we do steaks all the time like that .. cook to 145 F .. no more. slow as possible.. top it w/ onions and sliced pepper and the last minute or 2 top that w/ favorite cheese .. mmmm..mmmm..m

davidg 01-17-2018 04:29 AM

another thing - have you ever considered processing yourself ? if you're going to continue hunting , and you enjoy venison , you might want to .. if you have the provisions..i built a cleaning table , bought an electric grinder , a little hand drive cuber , buy freezer paper at grocery store .. we make our own sausage .. we know how the meat is cared for .. I understand it's about $80 these days ?? NOT ME . been doing it for hundreds of years.., i'd be glad to talk to ya

Jakethasnake 01-17-2018 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Oldtimr (Post 4325966)
Dead animals do not bleed out , when the heart stops the bleeding stops. If hung, meat will lose some blood through gravity. I have my deer hung in a walk-in for 6 or 7 days to age a bit but it will still exude blood when it thaws out, that will always happen. If you are concerned about the blood, put your meat in a collander or kitchen sieve when it is thawing and then put the collander or seive in a bowl and put it in the fridge and excess blood will drain into the bowl. Venison burger is usually bloodier than beef, not to worry.

Thanks for the colander idea, I'll be doing that when it comes time to thaw the meat, thanks!

Jakethasnake 01-17-2018 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by davidg (Post 4325967)
I think it would be better to have bled it out . but I tell ya what we do , when you thaw it to cook .. put tenderizer on it (after thaw) and let it sit in fridge for 2 days before cooking .. we do steaks all the time like that .. cook to 145 F .. no more. slow as possible.. top it w/ onions and sliced pepper and the last minute or 2 top that w/ favorite cheese .. mmmm..mmmm..m

David, thanks for both of your inputs... I'll def. be looking for some recipes and I don't see anything wrong with this one, so I'll probably refer back to this when it comes time to cook.

As for processing for myself, I have the type of personality that over time, I get more and more involved in the mechanics of the things I do... I really like the idea of knowing exactly how my meat has been handled and that I'm actually getting my deer and all of my deer back from processing... plus, including cleaning it cost me $160 for two does... I'm sure over the next couple of years I'll be cleaning and processing my own...

grinder67 01-17-2018 03:59 PM

If by sausage you mean rolls of venison summer sausage, it is most likely not your deer. The back straps, loin and roast may be, but the sausage is most likely not. Unless the processor makes it at his place of business.

Oldtimr 01-18-2018 03:27 AM

I assure you, the sausage I have made from my deer is from my deer.

rogerstv 01-24-2018 09:38 AM

$160 for processing two whole deer is inexpensive. You will likely get what you paid for such as the packaging. Your meat will "burn" in the freezer if not vacuum packed. I de-bone my deer keeping the tenderloins, loins, a couple roasts, and some grinding meat for myself. The rest goes to my favorite processor for salami, sticks, and brats. Costs me an average of $4 per pound for the processing.

My advice is to leave it as is and enjoy. Thawing and repackaging will be a pain in the a$$.

Before cooking, I generally soak my thawed meat in water or saltwater baths for up to a few days before cooking. Change the water each time it turns bloody. Buttermilk is used as well. Some use Dr. Pepper.

kellyguinn 01-24-2018 01:36 PM

If you plan on doing much hunting I would highly recommend learning how to process it yourself.

Several folks like to hang the carcass a few days to "age" before butchering but depending on where you are from this may not be an option. It is too warm for that here so while out in the field I pack the gut cavity with ice get everything cold quickly and to keep it that way till I get home. Once home I quarter and butcher. If however I plan on being out for several days then I will quarter and place in an ice chest with ice dumped on top and the drain left open. You don't want the ice to melt and then have the meat sitting in water.