Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Venison Neck Roast

Old 12-04-2017, 05:10 AM
Super Moderator

Default Venison Neck Roast

This has become my favorite part of the deer and I would gladly trade a back strap for the neck roast. Try this once and you will understand.

Remove the bone and esophagus from the roast as soon as possible! When the meat has been filleted from the bone properly it should lay flat. Rub minced garlic and your favorite seasoning on the side that was facing the bone then roll up, place in large zip lock or freezer paper for freezing until ready to cook.

Ingredients

Neck Roast 4 to 6 lbs
1 can Cream of Mushroom soup
1 can of brewed coffee or hot water
1 TB McCormick s steak seasoning or your favorite
Minced Garlic
1 packet Lipton Onion Soup (dry)

Steps

1. Thaw Roast
2. Place Roast in crockpot
3. Mix Cream of mushroom soup and coffee (or water) in bowl and pour over roast.
4. Sprinkle seasoning and Lipton Soup packet over roast.
5. Turn Crockpot on low (8 to 10 hours)
6. Enjoy with gravy and fixins.
Old 12-04-2017, 06:23 AM
Typical Buck

The neck roast is also my favorite part of the deer, I do not put in as much work as Kelly does but agree with his recipe, I also smoke the neck roast MMMMMMGOOD
Old 12-04-2017, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Can you describe a bit more what you mean by "laying flat" after cutting off the bone + esophagus?
Old 12-04-2017, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by younggun308
Can you describe a bit more what you mean by "laying flat" after cutting off the bone + esophagus?

Sure.

With the deer hanging the neck is round. (from just under the skull to the start of the backstrap) I slice thru the meat and esophagus bellow the skull and remove the head of the deer. Then I will slice thru the esophagus about where the backstrap will stop and remove the esophagus. Then at the end of the backstrap I fillet the meat along the spine using gravity to help. (with deer hanging by rear legs) I start at the neck end of backstrap pull the meat down while using knife to keep it as close to the spine as I can. When the meat is removed it will be in kind of a "C" shape but will roll out flat. I will try to get a picture of one if I can get my cell service to come in strong enough
Old 12-04-2017, 10:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

I believe, when done right you'll have a sheet of meat. Kelly once you get all the meat off the bone cut it in half and add it to spag. sauce or red gravy like you would veal neck bones. The meat will become super tender and fall off the bone.

Last edited by jerseyhunter; 12-09-2017 at 06:04 AM. Reason: keyboard missed some words
Old 12-04-2017, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

This is the last one I did. I spread the garlic on this side and roll or fold together. This one was rather large though so I had to cut into 3 separate roasts. This slab weighed in at over 10 lbs lol. The cutting board is 24" across
Attached Thumbnails Venison Neck Roast-neck.jpg  
Old 12-04-2017, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I believe I will keep the neck off my next deer. Will be a first for me.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

I always use the neck for soup. Put the whole thing in a crock pot half filled with water over night and the meat will fall off the bones. Strain the broth and save the meat. Put in a bunch of taters, carrots, onions and whatever else you want in the broth and stir in a can or 2 of spicy V-8 juice. Season to taste and let it cook in the crock pot for about 6 hrs. Makes a pot of soup that can't be beat.
Old 12-04-2017, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rogerstv
I believe I will keep the neck off my next deer. Will be a first for me.
Once the neck bones and esophagus are removed there really isn't any trimming needed. Everything melts away in the crockpot. Ya won't regret it. I'm kicking myself for not keeping them before.

Flags do you throw the spine and all in the pot? I'm a little nervous about that with the CWD thing.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, you all convinced me to try it. I watched my landowner carve "bricks" of meat out of the neck of the buck I shot this year to feed to his dog. I've never kept a deer neck and wasn't planning on keeping that one. Was standing there wondering if we were f'ing up. Appears we were.

The dog thought differently though !! haha

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.