Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Venison Neck Roast

Old 12-05-2017, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the response, Kelly. I personally haven't liked the way a bone-in neck roast gets tough around the bones, so I can see how it would go a long way to remove it.

I have noticed in your picture what looks like an artery (or maybe just an oddly thin strip of fat) before and recall it being incredibly tough. Do you remove it?
Old 12-06-2017, 02:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have not ever kept the next roasts either. Of course most of my deer are slick heads with small necks. LOL
Old 12-06-2017, 04:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by kellyguinn
Flags do you throw the spine and all in the pot? I'm a little nervous about that with the CWD thing.
Yep, I toss the whole neck, bones and all, into the pot. Bones are where you get your really good stock from. I'm not in a CWD area so I don't worry about it. If I was in a CWD area, and I did a lot of hunting in one when I lived in CO, I bone everything out and leave all the bones in the field. But where I am now I don't worry after all we are all going to die at some point from something right?
Old 12-06-2017, 04:20 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by flags
Yep, I toss the whole neck, bones and all, into the pot. Bones are where you get your really good stock from. I'm not in a CWD area so I don't worry about it. If I was in a CWD area, and I did a lot of hunting in one when I lived in CO, I bone everything out and leave all the bones in the field. But where I am now I don't worry after all we are all going to die at some point from something right?

I've done the stock with turkeys but never thought about with a deer. I'll have to give it a try if I can get lucky enough to get another one this season. I have always boned deer out. Also when making stock from the turkey I use it up pretty quickly. Is there a good way to store the stock from the deer to keep it from spoiling. Maybe freezing?
Old 12-06-2017, 06:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by kellyguinn
Is there a good way to store the stock from the deer to keep it from spoiling. Maybe freezing?
I put it in vacuum bags in 1 quart portions and then freeze it. When frozen solid vacuum pack it and it will keep a long time. I usually fill at least 2 ice cube trays as well and when they are frozen, pop them out and wrap each individually in plastic wrap and put them in a zip log bag. That way if I'm cooking something and need to add a little flavor you just grab one, unwrap it and toss it in the pot.

I'll normally take one deer and chunk the bones down and make about 3 crockpots of stock and use it throughout they year. You can also toss onions, carrots and taters in it while making the stock and then strain it well. Puts a lot of flavor in the stock. Before freezing it let it cool and any grease/fat will rise to the top and you can skim it off.

Learned all this from my grandmother who was an old farm wife. She made stock out of just about anything. But instead of freezing it she canned it so it would last. I've got 3 freezers so it is easier for me to just freeze it.

Last edited by flags; 12-06-2017 at 10:37 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-06-2017, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by younggun308
Thanks for the response, Kelly. I personally haven't liked the way a bone-in neck roast gets tough around the bones, so I can see how it would go a long way to remove it.

I have noticed in your picture what looks like an artery (or maybe just an oddly thin strip of fat) before and recall it being incredibly tough. Do you remove it?

If your talking about that white piece above my finger I just leave it in there. Most of it will dissolve and what is left I just discard. On a normal size neck I take it just the way it is in the picture and spread the garlic on it and season just a bit and roll it or fold together and tie with cooking twine.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
I have not ever kept the next roasts either. Of course most of my deer are slick heads with small necks. LOL
I do the same with them. An adult doe will still have enough neck meat for a full roast. Smaller (younger) does ya might need 2 of them to feed a family of 4.
Old 12-12-2017, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

bronko2200 made a delicious neck roast in the pressure cooker at bear camp this year. Usually I grind up the neck meat, but this year I made roasts.

-Jake
Old 12-15-2017, 08:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

Geeze Flags, now you are quoting the idiot Surgeon General from the Clinton administration. " we are all going to die at some point from something". How she ever made it through medical school is a mystery.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 12-15-2017 at 08:43 AM.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Geeze Flags, now you are quoting the idiot Surgeon General from the Clinton administration. " we are all going to die at some point from something". How she ever made it through medical school is a mystery.
Actually I am quoting my old grey headed grandmother. She used to say eat whatever you want because in the end we all die and all those health nuts are going to feel awfully dumb dying of nothing some day.