Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Vacuum Seal vs. Butcher Paper

Old 12-12-2017, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

I'm with most everyone else. Vacuum sealer for me. Plus when sorting for room you can see through the packs to tell what might be bad. Also if you make a big mess of jerky you can seal it in portions and it will last longer.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:07 AM
Typical Buck

I vacuum seal as well. I am kind of waiting on my seeler to die so I can get a better one. Mine is probably 15 years old or so. I noticed it doesn't seal as tight as I think it should.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Vacuum sealer is certainly better than paper. I use neither. I sort and place all meat in large plastic bags likely two-gallon size. Not sure. Grinding meat goes to processor or is ground by myself. Processor returns it in vacuum packages.

Loins and roasts are left in large pieces and trimmed when ready to cook. Less area for exposure. I trim any freezer burn that occurs. But, venison doesn't last past the start of the next season. So, I am not concerned with much freezer burn.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Con's= expensive to purchase and the bags cost much more than freezer paper.
You can re-use the bags , esp. if you freezer wrap first.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

You can get freezer burn in a couple of months.
Old 12-14-2017, 02:19 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by jerseyhunter
You can re-use the bags , esp. if you freezer wrap first.
I guess that would be possible but not really worth it from my way of thinking. Vacuum sealers do cost more to use but are worth every penny IMO. You get what you pay for.
Old 12-14-2017, 02:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

I can't figure out why anyone would want to go to the added expense and waste of time and money to paper wrap and then vacuum pack their meat. Freezer burn is caused by air and the moisture in that air around the meat. Vacuum packing removes the air so you do not get freezer burn.
Old 12-15-2017, 02:45 AM
Dominant Buck

I think the answer is simple. The people who don't use vacuum sealers haven't tried them and don't know the difference. I have kept frozen game meat wrapped in plain wrap on a tray similar to what you get when you get a steak in the meat market. It was done that way in NewFoundland when I went caribou hunting. That lasted about 6 months before the meat started to show signs of freezer burn. The 2 following years I went again and put the packages in freezer bags which made them go about a year. I had always done my own deer for years and used freezer bags or butcher paper or both. I tried out a vacuum sealer and it was about three times as effective than everything else I had used. It would be a bit scary to break down the cost per pound of my game meat. Add in all the costs for equipment, trips, and vehicle costs and paying a bit more for vacuum sealed meat is a small price to pay.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff Foxworthy explains the cost of deer meat. Unsure why the video quality is crap.

Old 12-15-2017, 07:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by rogerstv
Jeff Foxworthy explains the cost of deer meat.
I know that is meant as comedy but deer meat for me costs very little. I don't need to buy new gear (and handload all my ammo), my license (good for 5 deer at a minimum) costs $60 and I have to point out it is a combo license so it is also good for both freshwater and saltwater fishing and I have a place that lets me hunt for free.

Using the license cost a deer costs $12. Gas to get to the hunting place and back is maybe $15. Freezer bags to process a deer is about $18. So I've got $35 into the meat from a deer. I can handle that expense.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.