Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Deer Bologna recipes

Old 10-12-2017, 10:16 PM
Spike

Default Deer Bologna recipes

Does anyone have a good recipe for bologna using deer meat?
Old 10-13-2017, 02:37 AM
Spike

I just got all my sausage making supplies delivered Weds so I'm set for this fall. I don't use recipes other than what comes with actual seasoning kits for each specific sausage I am making. Here are a couple links to suppliers where seasons and casing along with any other component needed to make sausage can be gotten for very reasonable cost.

www.waltonsinc.com
www.sausagemaker.com

When you say bologna are you referring to rings? If so look for hotdog/wiener/bologna seasoning on either site. I've used made the hotdogs and bologna [same seasoning in either] using both brands and both make a very good product.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:15 PM
Spike

I use to do the seasoning packs, but you should try your own recipes. You know what's going into your stuff and you can adjust things for your tastes. I've got deer breakfast sausage down packed. You really can't tell it's deer. Looking at trying some bologna this year, just can't settle on a recipe yet.

Have you tried or looked at LEM Products yet?
Old 10-14-2017, 12:18 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Headline Outdoors
I use to do the seasoning packs, but you should try your own recipes.... Have you tried or looked at LEM Products yet?
I have used a lot of the LEM products but those kits are far from your own recipe.

I use prepared seasoning packets from both of the companies I have listed to make summer sausage, hotdogs, ring bologna, pepperoni and of course the snack sticks and I adjust the final taste to my liking using other spices. Since these seasoning packets are only the spices I still have to add binders and other components to make good sausage and all of these other elements will affect the final taste. The seasoning packets are simply a shortcut to the taste department. There's a lot of other things that you have to do and add that has a personal twist to making sausage you like.
Old 10-14-2017, 04:50 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Headline Outdoors
I use to do the seasoning packs, but you should try your own recipes. You know what's going into your stuff and you can adjust things for your tastes. I've got deer breakfast sausage down packed. You really can't tell it's deer. Looking at trying some bologna this year, just can't settle on a recipe yet.

Have you tried or looked at LEM Products yet?
Do you mind sharing your breakfast sausage recipe? My boy and I took a doe last weekend, been making jerky all week. Plan on grinding and making breakfast sausage next. Thanks
Old 10-14-2017, 01:08 PM
Spike

Sure thing KS....

https://www.himtnjerky.com/Prairie-S...t-Sausage.html

I use 50-50 pork/venison meat blend with the pork being shoulder meat with the fat. Using the sausage seasoning shown in the link I get very good sausage from venison. I do however prefer breakfast sausage made using 100% pork better. I stuff the sausage into 21 to 22 mm collagen casings making long ropes, then cut them into 4" links. I line cookie sheets with waxed paper and lay the links out and freeze them until they are fairly firm, then put them in vacuum bags 10 per bag and seal them up. I make breakfast sausage three times a year doing 25 pounds each time. This seasoning blend is the best I have found to date. When the pork/venison product is made right after hunting season it goes fast as kids love the stuff. As I said, I like the straight pork but both are very tasty.
Old 10-14-2017, 01:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Take a look at the breakfast sausage recipe for wild boar on this forum. The same spices would be used for venison.
Old 10-14-2017, 08:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Is Venison ring bologna have the same or similar taste as the stuff you buy from the store? I always wanted to make a batch but don't want to waste good venison on something I might not like. Also I get all my supplies from the sausagemaker and have no complaints. I prefer using recipes rather than kits.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:12 PM
Spike

This is my breakfast sausage recipe.....makes 3 pounds of mild breakfast sausage

Ingredients:

2 1/4 pounds Deer Meat
3/4 pounds Pork Fat Back
2 teaspoons Salt
1 ½ teaspoons Pepper
1 teaspoon Ground Sage
1 teaspoon Ground Thyme
½ teaspoon Rosemary Leaves
1 tablespoon Brown Sugar
½ teaspoon Grated Nutmeg
½ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
½ teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes

Directions:

before you even weigh your meat trim all the fat and silver skin off your Deer Meat. Weigh out the 2 ¼ pounds, and cut into small pieces to fit in your grinder. Cut your Fat Back into similar sized pieces, mix both meats together. Mix all the seasonings together in a bowl, before mixing into your meat mixture. Make sure the Meat is coated with the seasonings and let this sit at room temperature for 15 minutes, before putting your Meat mixture and the working parts of your grinder in the freezer for 30 minutes. Keeping the grinder and Meat cool will give you a better grind on your sausage. Grind your meat mixture using a 4.5mm or fine plate. Depending on your storage chooses as to how to package your Sausage.
Old 10-15-2017, 03:51 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by jerseyhunter
Is Venison ring bologna have the same or similar taste as the stuff you buy from the store? I always wanted to make a batch but don't want to waste good venison on something I might not like. Also I get all my supplies from the sausagemaker and have no complaints. I prefer using recipes rather than kits.
Anything with venison will depend on how strong the meat itself is from each individual deer, but for the most part the ring bologna I have done using the seasoning mixes and a 60% vennie/40% pork with fat meat blend has been very tasty and not gamy at all. I'm using venison from southern Minnesota farm country for my sausages. That from the northern forest country where pine is more prevelant can be pretty strong.

I stuff my rings and hang them until the next morning, then hang them in the smoker and fire it up for about 2 hours with moderate smoke, no more. They then come in the house and go right into a large canner filled with water heated just to a light simmer. When the rings float they are fully cooked, just like store bought. From the hot water to ice water until they are cold, then back on the nails for two days to dry a bit. I vacuum pack all my sausage and when I want a ring to go with other food for a meal the package goes right into boiling water to heat it up, but thawing and pan cooking is fine too. A little smoke goes a long way on ring bologna.

Many people grind two or three times but I like the old fashioned, coarse ground, ring bologna and spend a little more time cutting all the meat into smaller cubes [3/4" instead of 1" or 1 1/4"] before grinding. I add the seasoning packet and cure to the chunks and mix until all the dry goods are stuck on meat and then run thru the grinder using a medium coarse plate. Then I add my ice water and mix well, just before stuffing.

I made a couple 50 pound batches of rings two years ago and sealed them up and I'm still working on those. Next year I'll do another 50 pound batch if the season is good to me. Rings move along in the stuffing area real nice and their size makes them easy for one person to do them. I suggest the seasoning mixes simply because they take guesswork out of batching the spices yet one can add to the mix to create their own unique taste. I think I tried five do-it-yourself recipes and had to toss all but one and even then the finished product was iffy as far as the table went. The next year I ordered mixes from three places, two mentioned here, and broke the mixes down to make 5 pound batches and did the three just as I have mentioned here and settled first on the Walton's, then the LEM product and finally on the SausageMaker. All three make very good rings without adjustment. The last rings were done with Waltons and will be done the next time with Waltons, but I have used up all the other remaining seasonings by making venison hotdogs [same identical seasoning mix for both bologna and hotdogs] and they have been winners too. I'm doing hotdogs again this year and have the Waltons mix sitting here already. In all honesty I'd use any of the three mixes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.