Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Camp Cooking and Game Processing
Breakfast sausage from wild boar >

Breakfast sausage from wild boar

Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Breakfast sausage from wild boar

Old 10-08-2017, 07:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Breakfast sausage from wild boar

Some of you may remember I was looking for a recipe for breakfast sausage that tasted like commercial breakfast sausage. I found a recipe that was supposed be very much like Jimmy Dean sausage on the internet. I have a lot of wild pork already ground and made into fresh sausage breakfast links without any flavoring that I want to make breakfast sausage from, since the links are formed but not in casing all I have to do is thaw out two half lb vacuum packs and add the spices. The recipe wasn't bad but not what I wanted. I started to experiment with the recipe and add more of some of the ingredients for more flavor and I finally made a batch I think hit the mark. I thought I would share it here. Since I don't case the sausage I either make paddies or sausage gravy which is my favorite. I made a batch a while ago and served it over raw fried potatoes for brunch and it was great.

Breakfast sausage

Ingredients

1 pound ground pork
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
1 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
1/4 teaspoon fresh course ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes. More if you want more heat
1/4 plus 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon coriander seeds crushed fine, I use a mortar and pestle for that.
14 teaspoon msg, ie. Accent
Mix all the ingredients above well,except for the pork

I take the pork and put it on a smooth plastic cutting board made wet to prevent the pork from sticking. I then flatten out the ground pork and sprinkle some the other ingredients all over the pork. Then flip one half of the pork over on itself so the ingredients are inside, like closing a book. I then flatten it again and sprinkle more of the herbs and spices and flip half of it over on its self again and flatten it again and sprinkle the rest of the herbs and spices on the pork and flip half of it over on its self again. Knead the meat into its self til you are satisfied the spices and herbs are mixed well into all the pork. You may have to wet the cutting board a few times before flatening the ground meat and a wide blade knife makes it easier to flip the meat over on its self. Make a ball of the pork and put it into a bowl, cover with clear wrap and put it into the fridge over night.

If you have a better way to mix the herbs and spices into the ground pork than I described, feel free to use it