Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Masterbuilt Smoker

Old 08-12-2016, 04:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Why didn't I get one of these years ago!!! I will have to do some playing around with this thing to get different flavors but you are right HH, pork will be a favorite. I have half a dozen rotissary? chickens in the freezers that were on sale so I will not be cooking any of those for awhile, may try some jerky.
Old 08-13-2016, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

It will be good, let us know? However shop built smokers are the best Jenks, try building a smoker before you knock em. Good luck.
Old 08-30-2016, 04:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ah, chicken is not as easy as pork steaks. I brimmed some leg quarters, rubbed them and tried to maintain 275 degrees while watching the ball game. The first mistake was to use only small pecan chips, they were done smoking in a half hour or so. Next time I will put some hickory chunks in with them to keep the smoke rolling for awhile. Trying to watch the ball game let the temp wander from 250 to 300 a lot, that may not be good. The worst thing was not having the meat probe in right, it said that the chicken was at 165 when I checked other spots and it was only about 150. I put in some hickory and fired it up again. This time when it said 165 I took the chicken out. The wife said that it wasn't done and put it in the kitchen oven and finished cooking it. Next time I will do some things different. The chicken??? It was great!!!
Old 08-30-2016, 08:30 AM
Typical Buck

small pieces of meat are difficult to get temp correct next time try a whole chicken ! should get good results also with small pieces one piece may get to temp while another may not quite get their keep working at it also temp will rise as chips heat up so yes you gotta keep an I on it with yours !!! H H
Old 08-30-2016, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator

Try using the traeger pellets. They seem to work better in my masterbuilt. I also have the smoke box so that I can cold smoke cheese and just add a bit more smoke to other meats
Old 08-30-2016, 10:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Jenks, try the www. smokingmeatforums.com/f/, very informative.
Old 08-31-2016, 03:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the advise guys. I will keep working on this. I used hickory chunks before and they worked great, smoked a long time and I liked what they did for the meat. I have been to the smokingmeatforums, they do have a lot of good info. I think my main problems with the chicken was not having the internal temp. probe inserted correctly and not watching the smoker temp. as much as I should. I can not complain about the taste of the chicken so it was not a disaster.
Old 09-02-2016, 10:04 AM
Spike

My mouth is watering so much after reading this thread. Smoking things is great!!