Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Getting me a smoker! Clueless!

Old 12-02-2014, 11:11 AM
Fork Horn

Default Getting me a smoker! Clueless!

Ok guys, just ordered myself a smoker. Been making jerky in a dehydrator for years. Dabbled with slim Jim's out of a jerky cannon in oven but nothing fantastic. Had a heck of a season with a 150lb 8pt archery and a 95lb doe muzzleloader and a few more weeks left to top off the freezer. I have a ton of ground and want to get into sausage making with my smoker. Mainly summer sausage, snack sticks and possibly brats. Also want to try jerky in smoker instead of dehydrator.

Turkey and ham down the road when I get skilled.

I know zip about smoking and don't know anyone who does it. Can anyone recommend books, video or websites (if allowed) to help me out? Also of course any tips from users here! I'm so excited, thanks for any help!
Old 12-02-2014, 11:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

"Smoke & and Spices" by Jamison and Jamison is a good reference. Barnes and Noble about 13 bucks. Get yourself a couple of reference books. What kind of smoker did you get?

Last edited by Oldtimr; 12-02-2014 at 11:38 AM.
Old 12-02-2014, 05:29 PM
Typical Buck

Do a google search for "thesmokering" forum. It is a very friendly group and there is more information on there about smokers, grills, cooking then one man can take in.

Here is something I started doing a couple years ago, give it a try next deer you kill. I take the back straps out and cut each of them in half one time so I have four decent size pieces. I marinate them in a little olive oil and soy sauce over night. I use hickory bark and smoke them at about 235-250 degrees. It doesn't take real long to get them to about 135-140 degrees and then I take them off. By far the best venison I myself have had.
Old 12-03-2014, 02:36 AM
Fork Horn

Great info, I'll check for that book and definitely will visit that forum! I bought a Masterbuilt electric smoker. Not the best but I caught it on sale for $150 last weekend so figured I'd get it to start with.
I never thought of backstraps in the smoker. Besides sausages I just thought turkey and hams. I'll give it a shot!
Old 12-03-2014, 03:46 AM
Fork Horn

Doing jerky and summer sausages in the smoker took my venison to a whole new level last year. I had done most of the stuff in the oven, but smoking it really makes the flavors pop! Lately, I've been using hickory, mesquite and whiskey barrel wood chips.
Old 12-03-2014, 04:00 AM
Typical Buck

I have been building smokers and smoking meats/fish for several decades now. I can help you with any questions you might have. Last year I learned about Frisco Spices and have been trying their product offerings and have been very pleased with their stuff. Mike is a member here and can also assit you with insight and products.
Old 12-03-2014, 04:21 AM
Fork Horn

I hear a lot of people swear by their electric smokers, but I like charcoal. I use only hardwood lump charcoal and think it really adds to the flavor. It may not have the convenience and consistency of electric, but it's what I prefer. After deer season, i plan on building a large smoker out of my dad's old 250 gallon fuel oil tank.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:55 AM
Fork Horn

Here's a quick question, I want to add some cheese to my summer sausage and snack sticks. I mixed cheese in with burgers last year and it totally melted out when cooked on my grill. Just discovered hi temp cheese and bought a pound for 8.99 as I expected to have to put sausage in an oven before I got the smoker. Now I'm wondering though, since I will be smoking the meat at a lower temp,is high temp cheese needed or does regular cheese hold up under smoker temps? It sure would save some money not needing the hi temp
Old 12-03-2014, 11:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

Since you are using a casing when you make sausage the cheese will not be able to escape. If you want to put cheese in your burger to grill it don't mix the cheese with the brger. Make two thin patties then put the on one pattie and cover it whth the second pattie. I use blue cheese or sharp cheddar for the burgers.
Old 12-08-2014, 03:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

I built a propane smoker about a year and a half ago, and I love it. I've done brisket, pork shoulder, and a turkey so far, as well as several jalapeno peppers. No jerky yet. It's pretty easy, once you learn how to use your smoker. After that, it's all recipes and techniques.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.