Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Getting me a smoker! Clueless!

Old 12-17-2014, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm firm believer! Anything you can cook in an oven you can smoke in a smoker.
Attached Thumbnails Getting me a smoker!  Clueless!-350x700px-ll-3a202363_037.jpg  
Old 12-22-2014, 01:59 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by GPMD
Here's a quick question, I want to add some cheese to my summer sausage and snack sticks. I mixed cheese in with burgers last year and it totally melted out when cooked on my grill. Just discovered hi temp cheese and bought a pound for 8.99 as I expected to have to put sausage in an oven before I got the smoker. Now I'm wondering though, since I will be smoking the meat at a lower temp,is high temp cheese needed or does regular cheese hold up under smoker temps? It sure would save some money not needing the hi temp
Stick with the high-temp cheese for ANY product that goes into your smoker, even if you are smoking at lower temperatures (typically 150-165 for sausage making). Normal cheese may not "escape", but will melt...the taste will be there, but you won't get the "chunks" of cheese that you're probably looking for.

Last edited by Uncle Nicky; 12-22-2014 at 02:02 AM.
Old 12-22-2014, 02:05 AM
Fork Horn

Some jerky & keilbasi I made this weekend in my electric smoker. I own a Smokin-Tex.

Last edited by Uncle Nicky; 12-22-2014 at 02:08 AM.