Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Cast iron skillet restoration

Old 09-15-2014, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks. I'll try the vinegar soak
Old 09-19-2014, 06:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Arrowmaster
Thanks. I'll try the vinegar soak
Is your rusty like the one I posted here? or just surface rust?

Can you post any pictures of it?

For cast iron that is not as bad there are several things you can try. Baking soda+water and scrub with half a potato works pretty good.

If I'm just cleaning build up I just burn it off in the oven

Last edited by rockport; 09-19-2014 at 06:06 AM.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BIG DONNIE BRASCO
Great job, but you could have gotten that old wagner even cleaner. If you remove all that old varnish with oven cleaner. SOAK it with easy-off spray, wrap it in a trash bag and sit it in the sun for a few days to a week.

Teflon schmeflon

To be honest no worse than that pan was in the before picture I would just clean it by hand

Maybe I'll do another one on how I do pans like that as that would be a much different process than one in the condition I started this one in.
Old 09-19-2014, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator

I'll get a pic posted soon
Old 10-05-2014, 03:25 AM
Spike

Great post and info - thank you.

Does a cast iron pan need to be touched up now and then even if there is no rust etc.?

I have a couple pans that we don't use anymore because everything cooked on it sticks to the bottom. Just wondering if re-seasoning them would help?
Old 10-05-2014, 02:09 PM
Typical Buck

Until they establish a good "seasoning" stuff will stick to them. Some things will stick a little even in a well seasoned skillet. Depending on how often you use it a and what you cook in it depends on how long it will take to really have a good seasoning.
What I do in the beginning with a freshly seasoned skillet is wipe it out after use. Once it's used I put it on a burner and spray a little "Pam" on it wipe it in good. Let it get hot then shut it off and let it cool. Once you get a good seasoning this isn't necessary.

Also some high acidic foods can hurt the seasoning. So if your skillet was working out good then all the sudden started sticking something could have gotten to it. Spaghetti sauce and other tomato base products can take the seasoning off if you let it sit in there for a long time.
Old 10-05-2014, 04:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MarkM
Great post and info - thank you.

Does a cast iron pan need to be touched up now and then even if there is no rust etc.?

I have a couple pans that we don't use anymore because everything cooked on it sticks to the bottom. Just wondering if re-seasoning them would help?
Its kind of a catch 22 as seasoning will help but the best way to season is to use them.

Its like anything else, you will read about lots of easy miracle cures but patients , cooking, and proper maintenance is how you really get a good seasoning on them.

What I would suggest for your skillet is to break it out when you cook greasy food that won't stick then drain and wipe it clean. Once it starts to gain its season you can expand on using it and you will learn as you go.

Bacon, sausage etc is a good place to start. If you want to cook a sticky food like eggs just add a little grease first.
Old 10-05-2014, 04:55 PM
Typical Buck

Ive seen some brands of bacon stick in cast iron. Depending on how it's cured, some has a high sugar content and it will cause more problems then good. Some has no sugar at all and is great. I don't cook a lot of cornbread but other members of the Griswold and Wagner society say it is one of the best things to cook to season a skillet. If your bored search for the WAGS forum and you can read about cast iron until you die.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:03 PM
Spike

Thanks again!
Old 11-07-2014, 01:37 AM
Banned

thank you, Great infomation for me