Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Summer Sausage

Old 08-24-2014, 07:32 PM
Spike

Default Summer Sausage

I got a great recipe from my grand father and it is super delicious. I tried my first batch this week with some beef and it turned out pretty good. It seemed as though the smoke didn't penetrate the casings I used. They were the fibrous kind.

I was wondering what you all use for your sausage casings when you smoke them? I have a traeger smoker and smoked mine for 2-3 hours at 140* and then up to 180* until the meat was 155*. Don't get me wrong it tasted really good but it didn't look like my grand fathers and have that really good smoked taste. I would ask him but he passed away a few years ago and I wasn't able to ask him before.
Any suggestions??
Old 08-27-2014, 12:03 PM
Fork Horn

All the old timers used to smoke them 110 - 130 degrees for 5 or 6 yours. Too smokey in my opinion. I sell a product called powdered smoke you add to your seasoning and it gives a light smokey flavor throughout the meat without the bitterness of liquide smoke additives. Call Ben at 402 339 0550 and ask him about it. Mention Hunting net and tell him Mike said 10% off for all Huntingnet members.

Mike
Old 08-27-2014, 12:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Use real smoke , not the fake additive. Once you learn how to do it you will be glad you went with the real McCoy.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use beef middles or fibrous what ever I have on hand at the time.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:54 PM
Spike

Thanks for the opinions. Maybe I will smoke mine a little longer and see how those turn out.