Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Venison Skillet Baked Potatoes

Old 04-14-2014, 01:01 PM
Spike

Default Venison Skillet Baked Potatoes

This is definitely one of my favorite things I've made in a long time. Meat, potatoes, and cheese. Can't miss!

(If you to print a recipe card or see step by step pictures you can do that here: http://www.mywildkitchen.com/venison...aked-potatoes/)

Venison Skillet Baked Potatoes

Ingredients:

1 pound ground venison
3 – 4 medium potatoes, sliced thin
2 Tbsp olive oil
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
2 – 3 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
8 ounces sour cream
3 green onion tips, sliced thin
2 Tbsp butter
½ - 1 Tbsp seasoning of choice
2 c shredded cheese

Directions:

Preheat oven to 450°. Scrub and slice potatoes into 1/8 inch slices. Place in a medium bowl, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and stir to coat. Place potatoes on two foil-lined baking sheets in a single layer. Place pans in the oven and bake for 10 minutes. Check the potatoes after 10 minutes. If additional baking is required, flip and bake an additional 5 – 10 minutes. When potatoes are tender in the center and slightly brown and crispy on the edges, loosen from the pan and set aside. Reduce oven temperature to 350°.

Meanwhile, cook bacon in a cast iron skillet (if available) or other skillet. Once crispy, remove to a paper towel to cool.

Drain grease from skillet and set aside.

Brown ground venison in a separate large skillet. Once browned, stir in sour cream, sliced green onion tips, butter, and seasoning of choice (reserve 2 Tbsp green onion for topping). Heat through, then remove from heat and set aside.

In the cast iron skillet or other greased casserole dish, layer half the potatoes, half the meat mixture, 1 c cheese, remaining potatoes, remaining meat, remaining cheese, crumbled bacon, and reserved green onion.

Place skillet in the oven and bake for 15 – 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and slightly browned.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

That looks like a delicious recipe that's versatile and yummy.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:50 PM
Spike

We really enjoyed it! Let me know if/how you change it up.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator

My wife is allergic to milk and goat cheese so I'd have to use sheep cheese. I'd also be curious to play around a little with some paprika (smoked and not smoked), maybe a few shallots and possibly a little oregano, basil or some other stronger spices. Not too strong but enough to give it a little kick and keep your tongue guessing what exact spice is in there. I'll let you know how it turns out.