Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Mincemeat.................

Old 12-22-2013, 08:53 AM
Fork Horn

Default Mincemeat.................

I have a elk neck I would like to cook down and make mincemeat out of any recipes out there?? I have one from my dad but it seems to be hiding from me really well LOL!!!
Old 12-22-2013, 10:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

I will try and find my great grandmothers and post it for you after the holidays..
Old 12-23-2013, 05:31 AM
Spike

There is a fabulous recipe in this book

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0394511913/...l_8kczqhbq0p_e
Old 01-29-2014, 10:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

OK the holidays have come and gone and I am just a little late.. But here is a Mincemeat recipe that my great grandmother used to make.. I find it still to be one of the better ones.. I hope you like it..

Bake the neck on low..
Fry a piece of suet up ( Can use some apple or grape juice instead )

Normally when grinding we put all of it in a roaster..

When the neck is all cooked and cooled enough to handle grind up 2 pie plates of meat.
Grind up 4 pie plates of apples, 2 pkgs. of raisins..
Put in 3 pkgs. of currents, ( You can use 2 pkgs. of raisins instead) 2 cups brown sugar, 1cup molasses, 1 1/2 cup vinegar, 2 tsp. salt,2tsp cloves, 2 tsp cinnamon, and 2 tsp allspice. Cook this all together on top of the stove on medium low heat. Keep and eye on it and stir frequently. You can add more spice to taste to your desire..

Put in jars when hot and seal with wax. Or you can allow it to cool and put in freezer bags to freeze..

While I can not tell you how long to cook it for, you will know when it is done..
I hope this helps you out.. Good Luck I wish I was around when you have it all cook because I love this stuff..
Old 02-03-2014, 01:09 PM
Fork Horn

I had a aunt years ago that made mince meat pie for Thanksgiving and Christmas and boy was it good. Sure could go for a slice now!!
Old 02-03-2014, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

MMMMM! Love mincemeat pies and tarts. Y'all are making me hungry and have just created a job for me. Now I have to make a pie!
Old 10-16-2014, 12:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

Just wondering finnbear if you happened to try making any of it? It is getting close to that time of year again...
Old 10-26-2014, 04:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

My wife and I made some mincemeat last Sunday it tastes great, there is a lot of work to it and this would be very hard to buy in the store here anyways.. The store bought stuff does not taste anywhere near what this tastes like.. You can use beef instead but it will not taste as good....