Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Venison steak

Old 11-20-2013, 02:32 PM
Banned

Default Venison steak

I'm trying to find a way to cook a nice venison steak. Any tips?
Old 11-20-2013, 03:30 PM
Typical Buck

The key is not to overcook it. Many people think that venison cannot be eaten medium rare like a cut of beef. That is false.
I usually cook my backstraps whole and don't cut them into steaks. One recipe I use on steaks and whole back straps is to marinade them in 1/2cup of olive oil mixed with 1/4 cup of soy sauce. Then I add montreal steack seasoning. Get your grill nice and hot and drop them on and go just a couple minutes per side, maybe less depending on how thin/thick they are.
Another way I cook beef steaks to get an iron skillet it and stick it in my oven and turn the oven as high as it will go. Leave the skillet in there until it gets really hot. Pull it out and plave it on a burner on high. Drop the steak in the skillet about 1-2 minutes per side to get a good sear. Then back into the hot oven for just about 2 minutes per side.
No matter what you do don't over cook it.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:46 PM
Banned

Looks like great advice. I'll try it!!
Old 11-20-2013, 06:39 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by flyinlowe
The key is not to overcook it. Many people think that venison cannot be eaten medium rare like a cut of beef. That is false.
I usually cook my backstraps whole and don't cut them into steaks. One recipe I use on steaks and whole back straps is to marinade them in 1/2cup of olive oil mixed with 1/4 cup of soy sauce. Then I add montreal steack seasoning. Get your grill nice and hot and drop them on and go just a couple minutes per side, maybe less depending on how thin/thick they are.

No matter what you do don't over cook it.
I second the "DO NOT OVERCOOK" statement and leaving the backstraps whole. Nothing beats the grill IMHO. I've done backstraps in a combo of teriyaki and soy sauce and also done them in italian dressing, but my favorite is just a good steak rub. Get the grill HOT so you get a good sear. How long you cook it all depends on the thickness but if you are going to err, err on the side of rare.

My kids will scoff at a t-bone but gobble up backstraps or anything venison. Nothing gamey about it, it's called FLAVOR!

Good luck and enjoy!
Old 11-21-2013, 06:20 AM
Typical Buck

When I cook my bacstraps whole I usually put them in my smoker. I marinade the same as I mentioned above then get the smoker around 250 degrees with bark from a shag bark hickory tree as fuel. Once she is smoking the backstraps go on and I leave them on until they get to about 130-135 degrees.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:19 PM
Fork Horn

salt pepper fry
Old 12-11-2013, 04:39 PM
Spike

I cut the BS into 1" thick steaks. Season with Goya Adobo and black pepper. Wrap each steak with a strip of bacon(pin with toothpicks) and cook on grill with Low/medium heat. Don't over cook as others have stated. Warning, Cooking This way will make yer belly swell and yer eyes get heavy. LOL Very Delicious.

Last edited by Stickthrower; 12-11-2013 at 04:41 PM.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

For backstraps I put in a plastic bag in the am with olive oil and crushed garlic. Then when I get home from work throw on the grill till med rare.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

pound the 3/4" thick steaks with a tenderizing hammer, put them in a ziplock bag, add blackening seasoning, Cajun seasoning, S&P, pour in some terriaki marinade, refrigerate for 24-48 hours put on the grill (this is for charcoal) for 8 minutes a side, you can cut it with a fork.
RR
Old 12-13-2013, 07:23 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
pound the 3/4" thick steaks with a tenderizing hammer, put them in a ziplock bag, add blackening seasoning, Cajun seasoning, S&P, pour in some terriaki marinade, refrigerate for 24-48 hours put on the grill (this is for charcoal) for 8 minutes a side, you can cut it with a fork.
RR
That can't taste like venison. You may as well slice some bologna and do the same. No offense, but why drown out the taste of venison?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.