Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Camp Cooking and Game Processing
New to deer and gamey taste...need help >

New to deer and gamey taste...need help

Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

New to deer and gamey taste...need help

Old 11-10-2013, 02:42 PM
Spike

Eat some liver, then the rest wont taste gamey. satire here!
Old 11-10-2013, 09:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by fatneck65
Eat some liver, then the rest wont taste gamey. satire here!
the liver tastes like chicken
Old 11-11-2013, 05:03 PM
Spike

I think fungus finder hit the nail right on the head. Sounds like your field prep and care of the meat was proper, so your meat is probably not gamey, it just tastes like deer. Try to shoot one that's been on the grain fields too, should taste better than a deer eating willows or something. As others have stated try to stay away from salt when preparing, and low and slow in a crock pot tends to be a good approach, don't overcook. I'd also suggest trying some injectable marinade on the larger cuts. They should help combat dryness and get some flavour inside, not just on the outside 1/8". I've had some good injectables from Cajun Injector, but have never tried it on deer. Going to have to give it a try now.
Old 11-16-2013, 04:36 PM
Spike

Default Dont know if i can help

I cant help with the deer you already have but i butcher about 150 to 250 deer a year and i never have a gamy deer. I do butcher professionally.
I will not eat a deer that is gamy I cant stand the taste YUCK!!! and there is no reason for it to be gamy.

I don't know what makes it gamy but our hunters shoot the deer then gut it out immediately which includes making sure you get the pee sack and back end out completely . we let it hang for a couple days with the hide on it. The hide will keep it insulated and cool. Let it bleed out with or without the head on. as long as its not really hot out and the deer is kept in the shade or a garage the deer will be fine.
You should hang it for at least one day before you cut it into pieces as it doesn't drain as well once its cut. i think this is what causes the gamy is not hanging it at least one whole day.
You don't have to put it into the fridge for any special time once you cut it into sections it may drain a little but wont be much. Then just cut like you like. I never add anything to my deer except a little pork loin for sausage that adds just enough fat and flavor. for all other deer just Don't Over cook it and it will be juicy.
Some people say the fat turns bad in the freezer. ive never seen that and i take the silver skin off because its inedible. but the fat on deer doesn't have a bad flavor to me. there is not enough fat on a deer unless you leave big hunks from the back that some deer have. As far as color it all depends on the age and what they eat. a very young deer is so light pink it can be almost white.
Mountain deer that eat alot of acorns will have a stronger taste then valley deer and apple fed deer will be nice and mild. other then that i've never noticed different tastes from deer.
my email is [email protected] if you want to ask me anything ill be happy to help if i can.

Last edited by HgPilot; 11-16-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:29 AM
Spike

I know this i a bit late but one of the largest mistakes I see with deer is that people do not blood the animal like they should.

Most people wouldn't butcher a farm animal that wasnt bleed out, this goes for deer as well. Some people feel that because it was shot it has bleed enough, the blood which is salty and rich is what provides that gamey taste i.m.o. If I am able I like to dress my deer and then actually bleed it, slit the throat and let the blood drain if at all possible.

My spiked buck this year I wasn't able to bleed as much as I liked, but with a good heart shot he pretty much blood himself internally once I cut the diaphragm it was like blood jello inside.... if this happens rinse it out and rinse it good, also when dressing try to always keep the butt below the head, this allows the waste or any contaminates to drain over the least amount of meat as possible and not run over the back-straps or loins.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:05 AM
Fork Horn

You can make jerky, too. Lots of protein, not much fat, and a variety of flavorings are available for it as well. Experimenting to find out what you like best is fun, too.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:14 AM
Fork Horn

Good advice here, but at the end of the day, deer is going to taste like deer. If the burger tastes too wild, mix it with fatty ground beef from the store.