Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Camp Cooking and Game Processing
New to deer and gamey taste...need help >

New to deer and gamey taste...need help

Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

New to deer and gamey taste...need help

Old 10-22-2013, 01:49 PM
Spike

Ok, I gotta jump in on this one. The term "Gamey" gets thrown around quite a bit but for the wrong reasons. Actually, wild game tastes like it should, like it has always tasted from the dawn of time. Our society has been reared on such factory farmed animals like beef and pork and something out of the norm, like deer for instance, gets slapped with a "gamey taste label" because people want it to taste like the beef they buy under plastic film from the grocery store. Same would go for pheasant, rabbit and turkey. Heavily spicing the meats are just masking the natural flavor.

Some things certainly do cause venison to taste off, like was mentioned, improper cleaning, not bleeding the animal, slow cooling of the carcass, an animal that has been wounded and is full of adrenaline. Those factors would definitely throw the taste off.

But as you stated, proper care was taken. Hanging is a matter of preference. If the temps can't be consistent, then it's pretty much a waste of time. I've hung for up to a week before and have skinned and cut up the same night. Proper hanging temps allow for natural enzymes to break down muscle tissue resulting in a more tender "bite" but again, you have to have control of the temps and the proper temp range.
Removing the bones? You can bone the meat out, but I don't think you'd notice any difference. Certainly removing the fat as venison fat does have a taste that is very different from that of beef. Some like it, most do not. If your family doesn't like the taste of venison, but still wanting them to eat healthy, then perhaps incorporating the meat into dishes like stews or pot roasts where the flavors from the other ingredients can meld.

Venison when cooked properly is fantastic. It's taste is unique and in my opinion, has a more dimensional flavor profile than the best cut of beef.

One more thing I'd like to add. Avoid herb/spice mixes that have allot of salt in them. Venisons enemy when cooking is dryness. The addition of salt will draw moisture out of what is already a very lean cut. Enjoy, and I forgot to tell you "Welcome" to the forum.

Last edited by FungusFinder; 10-22-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

i have had one buck that was particularly bad in the tast department, it was an old buck in full rut. the only way that we could eat it was to cook in a slow cooker with onion soop mix . its a dry mix and cooked for a few hours
Old 10-23-2013, 10:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Place your deer in a slow cooker, add a cup of beef broth, onions, garlic, a LITTLE cayenne and cracked pepper. Use a dash of liquid smoke and simmer for 5 or 6 hours. Enjoy.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:29 AM
Fork Horn

A lot of great advice here and welcome ot the forum. Remember, while beef fat adds to the taste, venison fat can turn randcid in the freezer. All the fat and the silver skin you see has to be trimmed out. I also process my own and double grind all the burger just to make sure all the fat and silver skin are removed.

Also, venison is a darker meat than beef. Most people have a tendancy to overcook the meat and this dries it out leading to the "gamey" taste. IMHO, if you are cooking a venison steak and trying to get it medium rare, stop at rare. It is a darker meat and if looks like a beef steak medium rare, you are medium to well done in venison. Most people look at Venison steaks and say it is too rare until they taste it and realize it is simply a darker meat. I also mix burger in when making chili's, sauces, meatloaf, etc... as the beef fat helps the venison burger.

Also, experiment with marinades, rubs, cooking times and all the advice here. It is as healthy as you can get.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

it accrues to me that i have never had a bad tasting doe and i have taken a bunch of them in the last 40 years. bucks on the other hand , its easy to get a bad one.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

marinade is your friend
RR
Old 11-08-2013, 05:23 AM
Typical Buck

I killed a small doe last year. I cut the loins an back straps out and then canned the rest in a pressure cooker. The only thing I added to the cubed meat was a small amount of beef broth and 1 beef bullion cube. It is very tasty, very tender, and can be used in a variety of dishes. It makes great stroganof, "beef" and noodles, philly style sandwhiches etc. Plus they take up no freezer space. I just stack the jars in the pantry and pop them open when I want to use one. I will definitely be canning more venison this year. As for the loins and back straps I throw them in the smoker and they come out great.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:52 AM
Fork Horn

Flynlow, when you get ready to do your canning this year purchase a jar of our AuJus paste and try that instead of bullion. We did taste testing with about 50 customers and not one chose beef bullion over the AuJus. Plus the liquid make the most awesome gravy. If you call in and say your from Hunting Net we will give you 10% off as well.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:44 PM
Dominant Buck

The more gamey...the better i like it...BUT if i wanted to rid the gamey taste...simply soak in salt water....the taste is in the blood and the salt will draw out alot of the blood...

I do this with bass...too fishy so i soak 3 different times than the bass taste excellent
Old 11-08-2013, 10:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like the taste of deer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.