Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Recommend Meat Grinder?

Old 10-05-2013, 06:30 AM
Fork Horn

Default Recommend Meat Grinder?

Hi folks,
Our family tries to grow and process much of our own food... from cattle and chickens to processing our own deer and vegetables.

I've been looking for a quality meat grinder that could double as a tomato squeezer.

I've tried finding an OMCAN FTS12 but can't find a reasonably priced used unit anywhere. The FTS12 can accept both the meat grinder head and a tomato squeezer head. (Tomato squeezers separate the tomato juice from the skins and seeds for making tomato paste).

So now I'm looking at the Cabela's commercial quality line here:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Home-...3Bcat104364180

Anyone use one of Cabela's machines??? Or know of any other grinders that can pull double duty?

Thanks!
Old 10-05-2013, 08:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Been using my Cabella's grinder for at least 10 yrs. Just wish I got a larger one it's 1/3 hp no. 8 plates, they didn't have the 1/2 at the time and I couldn't afford anything bigger. I only do 10-20 lb batches so it is fine. Get the biggest you can afford. If this one ever goes I'd get the one you posted. For the price it's a steal.

Last edited by jerseyhunter; 10-05-2013 at 08:53 AM.
Old 10-05-2013, 03:35 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks.. I'm looking at either the 1/2 or 3/4 horse.. my only concern is no reverse.. wondering how big a deal that is.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have the 1/2hp model. Have had it for about 5 years and have done a number of elk and deer with it. It does a great job but seems to grind meat much better if it is partially frozen.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I might add that it comes apart pretty easy if something g gets stuck in it.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:48 PM
Fork Horn

Great info! I think I'm going to save my pennies and buy a 1/2 or 3/4 model.. was hoping to get reverse but probably not worth the extra money.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:06 PM
Typical Buck

I used to work in a commercial sausage kitchen. Reverse will allow you to back out of some (not all) times when the grinder gets jammed up. You can always disassemble the grinder and clear the jam (which you will have to do from time to time anyway, even with reverse). If I had a choice between spending my money on reverse or more horse power, I'd opt for horse power.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:14 PM
Fork Horn

I have an LEM #8 and its a tank. I paid like $240 through amazon and couldnt be happier.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:29 AM
Fork Horn

I really want a machine that can be converted to process tomatoes and applesauce... That requires a tomato squeezer attachment and there are only two or three machines I've seen so far that can do that.. The OMCAN (FMA) FTS12 or 22 can do it but its a $900 setup... and the Cabela's machine looks like it can do it for about $500 if I buy the attachment with the meat grinder.
Anyone know of any other machines that do both operations?
Old 10-07-2013, 10:25 AM
Typical Buck

No idea on the quality of this one:

http://www.meatprocessingproducts.com/82-0102-w.html

But the price is right. Maybe someone else who has used it will weigh in?

--------

Do you cook apples and tomatos before you strain them?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.