Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Wild Game

Old 08-05-2013, 10:08 PM
Spike

Default Wild Game

Why is it so hard to get people to eat wild game. We are too taken by the childish idea of a cartoon rabbit or deer. As most of us on here know venison is sooo good. They dont know how much better it is then store bought meat. Do they know that rabbit has twice as much protein as chicken. No they dont what im getting at is please for anyone who reads this pass the word about the benefits of game thanks.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just don't tell them what it is... they'll eat it, they'll love it, then you tell them and they are a convert.

I've turned several people on to rabbit, venison, elk and pheasant using this method.

I did piss one lady off though... so, there's that.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:42 AM
Spike

But why does it have to come to hiding it. Why it piss people off. What do they think our ancestors lived on.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WildGameChef
But why does it have to come to hiding it. Why it piss people off. What do they think our ancestors lived on.
People are so far removed from their meals that they'll tell you hunting is wrong because you're killing animals, then they go buy their meat at the supermarket.

I really don't know any other way to do it, I certainly won't beg someone to eat something.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:01 AM
Spike

Fair enough to that. And thoughs kind of people eat the beef, the pork, and the chicken that maked them sick. thoughs animals suffer a lot more then any animal iv hunted.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Try a different pitch. Wild game is antibiotic free, artificial hormone free, not genetically modified, pasture raised. It is as healthy and natural a food as you can eat.

Also appeal to their aesthetic sense. Not only is wild game meat healthy, but it is delicious. I can't think of a better match to the best wines than game meat.

By the way, I grew up in Illinois but now live in an affluent suburb of Dallas, Texas. I serve elk to a wide variety of people, and they all like it a lot. Now, if I try to serve lamb chops -- some people will like lamb, and other will just abhor lamb. Likewise with other foods . . . but not elk. EVERYONE likes elk. I had similar experiences feeding deer and pronghorn antelope to my guests.

You do have to cook your game properly. You have to be careful, or game can be reduced to a dry, tough item. If they have eaten POORLY cooked game meat in the past or game meat that has not been handled properly and hence tasted "gamey" you are probably fighting an uphill battle.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:27 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by WildGameChef
Why is it so hard to get people to eat wild game. We are too taken by the childish idea of a cartoon rabbit or deer. As most of us on here know venison is sooo good. They dont know how much better it is then store bought meat. Do they know that rabbit has twice as much protein as chicken. No they dont what im getting at is please for anyone who reads this pass the word about the benefits of game thanks.
http://woodlotfarms.com/Rabbits_for_meat.html

I don't think rabbits have that much more protein than chicken? This table states 27g of rabbit as opposed to 26g for chicken.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:24 AM
Spike

I love rabbits, Squirrels, Possums, and other wild game. Frogs are the best though. They are way better then chicken for sure...