Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Camp Cooking and Game Processing
How to Get the Gamey Taste Out of Venison >

How to Get the Gamey Taste Out of Venison

Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

How to Get the Gamey Taste Out of Venison

Old 04-15-2013, 04:57 PM
  #1  
Spike
Thread Starter
 
ng30345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 11
Default How to Get the Gamey Taste Out of Venison

Although there are always opinions, here's a great way to easily get the gamey taste out of venison.
ng30345 is offline  
Old 04-15-2013, 06:33 PM
  #2  
Nontypical Buck
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,618
Default

i found that a Crockpot and onion soup works very well
cataway is offline  
Old 04-15-2013, 10:00 PM
  #3  
Nontypical Buck
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: PA
Posts: 1,778
Default

I like eating and tasting deer.
Tundra10 is offline  
Old 04-16-2013, 02:55 PM
  #4  
Fork Horn
 
Uncle Nicky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: PA
Posts: 470
Default

Trim all the fat & silverskin off, that's 1/2 the battle.
Uncle Nicky is offline  
Old 04-16-2013, 10:40 PM
  #5  
Nontypical Buck
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: PA
Posts: 1,778
Default

Originally Posted by Uncle Nicky View Post
Trim all the fat & silverskin off, that's 1/2 the battle.
yeh but it 'll still taste like what it is

I enjoy eating what I've harvested. Sure you can fix it so it don't taste like what it is, but why?
Tundra10 is offline  
Old 04-17-2013, 02:44 AM
  #6  
Fork Horn
 
Uncle Nicky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: PA
Posts: 470
Default

Originally Posted by Tundra10 View Post
yeh but it 'll still taste like what it is

I enjoy eating what I've harvested. Sure you can fix it so it don't taste like what it is, but why?
True enough, but it was like a lightbulb going on inside my head when I realized that the "candlewax" taste that venison had when my mother used to cook deer steak was a result of leaving the fat on the meat (my father used to go to a processor).

The taste of deer is OK with me, same with geese or bluefish...but there are other things I'd eat first, given my choice. I take pride in fixing dinner & seeing the whole family (even the Mrs) polish their plates when venison is on the menu, and I've either created or borrowed recipes that make deer meat taste a little more mainstream.
Uncle Nicky is offline  
Old 04-17-2013, 04:35 AM
  #7  
MZS
Typical Buck
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Northern WI
Posts: 853
Default

My strategy has always been to strive for a clean shot and clean field dressing. Then make sure the meat is chilled as soon as possible. If it is warm weather, I quarter the deer and place in the freezer right after skinning and process the next day (no "aging" at all). If cold (under 40) I let it hang for a day or two and then process. Once, a guy shooting damage control deer gave me some that was harvested in hot summer weather and not properly cooled - it had a bad smell to it and I had to discard it. For sure, getting as much fat out also helps, as mentioned. Another factor is deer diet - deer from swampy forested areas with little or no hay, corn, or agricultural crops will have a wilder taste than deer from farming areas.

Since the whole CWD thing I have been deboning the meat and we either make stew, steaks, loin, or I have it mixed at a reputable butcher with quality beef. One would be very hard pressed to distinguish our deer meat from beef except that it is leaner and actually tastes better!
MZS is offline  
Old 04-18-2013, 09:07 AM
  #8  
Spike
Thread Starter
 
ng30345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 11
Default

Originally Posted by MZS View Post
My strategy has always been to strive for a clean shot and clean field dressing. Then make sure the meat is chilled as soon as possible. If it is warm weather, I quarter the deer and place in the freezer right after skinning and process the next day (no "aging" at all). If cold (under 40) I let it hang for a day or two and then process. Once, a guy shooting damage control deer gave me some that was harvested in hot summer weather and not properly cooled - it had a bad smell to it and I had to discard it. For sure, getting as much fat out also helps, as mentioned. Another factor is deer diet - deer from swampy forested areas with little or no hay, corn, or agricultural crops will have a wilder taste than deer from farming areas.

Since the whole CWD thing I have been deboning the meat and we either make stew, steaks, loin, or I have it mixed at a reputable butcher with quality beef. One would be very hard pressed to distinguish our deer meat from beef except that it is leaner and actually tastes better!
Yes, the clean shot is a great idea. Supposedly a clean shot prevents the release of adrenaline which people have always talked about as adding to the gamey taste. I wish I had a way to hang a deer in 40 degree weather. We dont really have a place to do something like that.
ng30345 is offline  
Old 04-18-2013, 10:33 AM
  #9  
Super Moderator
 
jrbsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Seagrove N.C. USA
Posts: 7,269
Default

Soak it in milk 30 minutes to overnight before cooking.
That is what I do.
I soak deer in 2% milk at least 30 minutes before cooking it.
It works for me.
jrbsr is offline  
Old 04-18-2013, 03:17 PM
  #10  
Nontypical Buck
 
HuntAway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Renfrew County, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,392
Default

Might just as well set it in a tub of water. He may be aging it but from what I read he is blanching the meat. I think the taste would be rather bland doing this. Even beef has flavour and is not subjected to that kind of treatment.

You want good venison? Quick kill. Field dress asap. Keep the carcass clean. Skin asap. De-fat/ de-silverskin it. Cool the meat asap 32-34'F. If you want to age the meat, age it at 32-34'F and whatever the percentage of humidty and amount of draft on the meat as required for optimum ageing(google it). After ageing, trim, De-bone wrap and freeze.

Except for the ageing part, I try to do all of the above. I hunt bush deer (no farms in 20 miles) and they are every bit as good as their southern bretheren that eat soya beans and corn. My sister say's they taste wild..... She was used to the way my father used to take care of their deer at the "hunt camp". I gave her husband some meat done the way we process our "Northern" deer and she could not tell the difference. My mother used to soak roasts in salt and water overnight for the same reason.

Taste has very much to do with how they are prepared for the freezer. I will never take any meat to a butcher to process. They hang and freeze what they get and you get what you gave them. Hair, fat, bones and dirt included.

HA

Last edited by HuntAway; 04-18-2013 at 03:27 PM.
HuntAway is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.